Replacing the Magnetic Fan Clutch

My MB 190e is overheating and I came to the conclusion that it is the fan clutch. I was able to get the OEM part for under 100 dollars where the dealer wanted to charge me 300 not including labor to replace.
Should I get a mechanic to replace this or is it easy enough to do myself? I am wary of mechanics since they wanted to charge me three times what the item costs. Thanks in advance!
Relatively easy job on 4cyl but a lot more work for 6cyl where the radiator has to be removed for access. Probably about 4 hrs worth of work for 6cyl. Good luck Peter

How would one go about that?
You probably should get the MB service library manual on CD. I purchased one on Ebay sometime back. If you have the 2.6 you will need to remove the front bumper and radiator for access. Peter

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Have you had the cooling fan switch tested before you replace the magnetic clutch for the fan (i assume your w201 is a petrol 4 cylinder) Does it overheat while stationary or while cruising along ?
It orverheats after driving for a while. When it does it causes coolant to overflow out. The fan comes on sometimes and my mechanic said it was the fan clutch and wanted 300 for the part and 200 for labor. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Has the mechanic shown you what have been checked? I would suspect sensors and wiring first before coming to clutch which is probably the most time-consuming and expensive (and most profitable?) repair for the overheat.
The fan clutch should have a two-pin connector. Disconnect it and check the resistence. If it fails, the circuit should be open. If you get reading, most likely it is still good. You can double check by applying 12v on the pins. Positive on one and negative on the other. There is no polarity. When voltage is applied, a good clutch will engage the fan which no longer turns freely.
If the clutch turns out to be good, let me know and I will look at the wiring diagram. I think it is directly connected to temp sensor. When the sensor grounds (temp reaching predefined range), voltage is applied to the clutch. However, I did this many years ago so I may remember it wrong. You need to tell me the year and engine size for me to look at the correct diagram.
BTW, if temp stays high even when car moves, the radiator is at fault. The fan helps only at stationary or low speed.