Replacing the Overload Relay

My wife told me that her '95 E320 wagon "stumbled" a couple of times this week while idling at intersections, so as a first shot I'm going to replace
the overload relay. Is there some tip to easily removing the old relay? I pulled the plastic cover behind the battery and I see what appears to be the relay on the right side - but it seems to have at least one bolt holding it on the side which is difficult to access.
Josh
Hi Josh, I would suggest you remove the battery first, it makes it easier. Remove bolt on relay front bracket, and dont drop it inside of engine compartment. Pull relay bracket foward and and the relay comes right out. There is a tongue and groove arrangement on the back of the bracket. Hold the relay socket firmly with a small washcloth or glove, and wiggle that ole puppy out. I just checked this OVP relay on my 93 300TE...It was actually in pretty good condition after I stripped it apart. (I have something else going on) Let me know if this helps your poor running problem. Dont forget to do a general ignition tune up if you havent already, I mean plugs cap rotor....After you reinstall the battery which terminals you should pre-clean, lock and unlock your doors once if you might have some security immobilizer and this will reset it. Pay attention to your filters also....
My wife told me that her '95 E320 wagon "stumbled" a couple of times thi week while idling at intersections, so as a first shot I'm going to replac the overload relay. Is there some tip to easily removing the old relay? pulled the plastic cover behind the battery and I see what appears to be th relay on the right side - but it seems to have at least one bolt holding i on the side which is difficult to access
Jos
-- dave_rose69
View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-378481.htm
Send from http://www.carstalk.ne
Thanks - great instructions. I got the relay but for the past three days the car has run fine, so I'm still waiting to see it happen.