Replacing Water Pump on '78 SLC

The water pump on my 1978 350SLC Euro bought the farm the other day and I want to fix it. I found out that the pump irself is cheap, around $100 US,
but the labor is not cheap, entailing roughly 7 hours @ $72/hr, plus the place that will do the repairs doesn't want to use the $100 dollar pump, they insist that I get it through them, for about $180 (!).
Anyway, my question is, can a person of modest mechanical skill with lots of time and patience and the Mercedes service CD do this kind of job himself? I'm not afraid of hard work and I'm in no special hurry, but I'm no mechanic.
TIA, axel
7 hours to change a water pump, then they're pretty dumb, does it take 6 hours to find the right tool?
Yes you can do it yourself, just make sure you get the correct gaskets required and retorque it to the specified amount, while your at it, flush out the cooling system while your there and use new coolant.

7 hours, you must have to pull a LOT of stuff off the engine to get to the pump.
It would not be a technical job, mostly unbolting and bolting it on again. Remember where everything goes and lay it all out in some kind of order. A few digital pics if your overly worried can help getting it back togther with no bits left over.
I can not really imagine a '78 engine having that much on the front of it, not like later cars with cramped engine bays, and wires and hoses going everywhere.
Be sure to check the coolant after running the engine for a while, a cold fill could see a lot of air in there that needs to escape.
axel heyst wrote:

want to fix it. I found out that the pump irself is cheap, around $100 US, but the labor is not cheap, entailing roughly 7 hours @ $72/hr<<
It takes less than three hours and no special tools are required.

The pumps, as little as a couple of years ago were $25 at the dealer with a $100 core charge; they seemed to hope you woulnd't bring the old one back. They're more expensive now but still under $100.
you can rebuild your own for $25 if you have a press - even if the housing is cracked, its a weldable alloy - not that you'd bother on that model since they are rather inexpensive anyway, but great for us M100 owners.
wrote:

and I

US, but

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Ditmire) wrote:

And indeed I found an indy Mercedes mechanic who did it for $230 (labor) complete with flush. I did spring for the pump at his price ($160) so he would honor the warranty. Took him less than three hours and all is back to normal.
Thanks to all for your help.
axel

Where are you located, maybe someone can recommend an independent mechanic who does ot look at you as a wallet on legs.
JJ