REQ: '83 240D block heater tips

Hi all - what kind of work am I in for in putting a block heater in a 240D? It never had one before. Is there an existing port for it already? or do I knock-out a freeze plug (did that on my Jetta 'long
time ago)? Screw-in? Clamp-in? Et cetera. Any help/tips will be greatly appreciated! :)
Remove block's iron drain plug on its right side, near starter. This old plug will probably be very difficult to remove after twenty years. Start with penetrating oil for a week or so before attacking it.
Suggest you first get the plug loose THEN buy the heater.
Oh? It mounts in the drain plug? I'd thought it was in a port further-up the side of the block (obviously I haven't looked yet). NOW I've got something to go down and look for. Thanks.

Re: REQ: '83 240D block heater tips Oh? It mounts in the drain plug? I'd thought it was in a port further-up the side of the block (obviously I haven't looked yet). NOW I've got something to go down and look for. Thanks. In article xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx i have never tried one but before skinning your knuckles & breaking breaker bars i have heard of people using heated lower radiator hoses & battery pads.
i have been spoiled and have had block heaters in all my 3 diesels !
case
the case, minus a few cans!
My apologies for combining threads; it seemed like a good idea...
I just looked down the passenger side of the block from above - PLEASE tell me it's the hex-head bolt near the starter and NOT that (approx) 1-1/2" dia. recessed one! (nem'mine - I already know the answer) I'm assuming it IS a right-hand thread, and it looks like I'll have to drop the starter to get at it clearly, right? :\
<rant> WHYINHELL DO THEY FIGURE THEY NEED SUCH A BIG, STRANGE PLUG JUST TO DRAIN COOLANT??? </rant>
Any leads on where I can get the socket? Performance Products has the heater for $44 right now and I think their Christmas sale is still going on.
This car's always been a 'summer baby' only but, sadly, that's no longer possible and now I find myself needing to get this done now rather than during the summer.. :( I'd heard about heated hoses/etc. too but can't seem to find those hoses in any of the catalogs...
Thanks!

--
Sandy ('86 VW Jetta diesel , '83 MB 240D, '83 MB 300TD )

I've done a number of these. The plug is a hex socket, 19mm or 3/4 inch. You will need a 3/4 inch drive T handle, 3/4 drive 19mm hex key, or 19 mm socket with a short piece of 19mm hex key ( this is what I use), a pipe about 4 feet long to slip over the T handle, and a pencil to hold between your teeth while you attempt to loosen the plug. Removing the plug before buying the heater, as another suggested, is excellent advice. The plug might not come out. And take care that the extension pipe doesn't make a dent in the hood if or when the plug comes loose.
Chas Hurst
Yeah, it was really hard for me too. you MUST get the proper tools, I had to buy one of those sockets. Then I had a huge breaker bar, and on top of that I had a long peice of pipe that I had to use, then me and another 6'4 guy both were trying to break it loose. We finally did it, (this was a summer job) but we ran the engine a good long time to warm it up, then we actually (I don't know if this helped) got a propane torch and for about 5 minutes I heated up the area around the plug, then I got out from under the car and we started to try to unscrew the plug, and then *BANG!* it broke, then it's smooth sailing from there. but it's WORTH IT! I'm here in utah, my car's pluged in now, and it's 10-20F degrees cold here @ night, and whenever I turn it on, it's like 40C already, no hicups, no coughs. I should post how I did this in mbz.org sometime soon.