Rocker Arm Removal and Repositioning Quandry

A friend with lot of experience working on MB's and other cars, and I were removing the rockers on different sides of a 380sl engine when I noticed that he wasn't keeping track of where each rocker came from.
However, when I admonished him for it and told him the MB manual says they should be replaced in their original position, he confidently replied that it doesn't make any difference because -- if i recall correctly -- "the cam lobes glide on a layer of oil that evens out any differences each rocker surface may have." So I ended up mixing the rockers I took off in with his.
I was recently told by a Master MB Tech, however, that rockers should definitely be reinstalled on the same valve, because not doing so can wreck the corresponding cam lobe. So now i'm wondering what the odds of that are, and whether I have to get new rockers and/or cams, considerng they're all in very good shape.
Any advice would therefore be greatly appreciated
I forgot to ask: Is there some way rockers can be matched to cam lobes based on wear patterns?
General rule is put it where you took it off. Now, the job is already done, just leave it alone. Use synthetic oil.
Why syntheticl, Tiger? I've read here and elsewhere that switching from fossil to synthetic in high mileage engines can cause seals to leak?.

Doesn't apply to MB... and that is old wives tale. I switched to Synthetic at 180,000 miles... no problem.
Synthetic will provide even more protection for your cams... beside, I thought you completely rebuilt your engine.
Tiger wrote:

Same here; I switched to synthetic at 220K on my diesel. No leaks 15,000 miles later.
JD