Roll backward on incline automatic

I have a automatic 99 E320. I've noticed that at hills(inclines) (somewhat steep, but nothing out of the norm) the car will roll backward when it's in drive if my foot isn't on the
brake. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?
Every automatic transmission will do this. I hope you don't do it often, I don't see how it could not be bad for the tranny. Richard

My 2001 CLK Cab rolls back; very disconcerting at first, as my 1993 190E doesn't.
I have been wondering about that rollback, but you're saying it's normal these days.
DAS --
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:41:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (sdp1s) wrote:

backward, though.
WY
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:18:44 +0100, "Dori Schmetterling"

sdp1s wrote:

My old W123 (RHD) had one.
--
Change to leews to mail.

Lee Wei Shun wrote:

RHD model, right?
Juergen
Juergen . wrote:

That's what I wrote, right?
WS
--
Change to leews to mail.

DK ( snipped-for-privacy@xxx.com) wrote:

I use the drive-off assistant. Just give the pedal a little extra kick until the cluster says "SBC HOLD" and it's engaged. The 2004 S211 Estate with brake-by-wire has it (as well as the next generation M-Class and GST). Won't roll back and drives off normally on inclines.
That's one feature I miss when changing back to older cars. When rolling back I find myself pressing the pedal with this little extra kick, and it wont "take".
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/sbc.html
Wolfgang