RS light stays on for 5 minutes

On my 1987 w124 the Red RS light has gone from staying on for a few seconds after starting the engine to staying on for 5 minutes.

- What exactly is the RS light (it's airbag related I think)

- Does any idea what the cause of this change in behavior could be (it's been unusually hot the last few days)

Thanks!

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

RS means "Restraint System". It is airbag related. But usually when the light takes too long to go out, it means one of the 2 front belt buckles has a resistance problem. If it was a airbag problem, i.e. the slip rings and brushes under the steering wheel for the drivers airbag, it would stay on constantly.

See if you can find someone with an impulse counter and read the amount of faults left in the SRS system. 3 blinks is slip rings, 9 is the light, 10 means the crash sensor has gone past the 1st threashold and is not eraseable, and if I remember right 6 and 7 are the buckles.

Reply to
Karl

takes too long to go

was a airbag problem,