s-class versus range rover; safety

Page 1 of 3
Hi;
i am considering buying another s-class, but wondered if my child would be safer in a range rover. any opinions.
bob

The current S600 is designed to take a 100Kmh accident and for survival of the occupants without safety belts. Largely due to the number of global diplomats riding in such cars unrestrained.
A Range Rover is a steel cage and in an accident the occupants bounce around like lotto balls. The survival stats for large SUV type vehicles is herendously alarming. They are not safe at all in extreme conditions, they are only safer in the wet at low speeds - which is something the S-Class can match easily given it curb weight.

Do you have a source for this ridiculous statement?
Nevertheless it does not make sense to take a Range Rover over an S-class for safety reasons. The S-class is one of the safest cars available, and due to its better suspension it will stay upright and on the road in situations where the Range will either tilt or leave the road. If you want to enhance safety dramatically, always wear safety belts and use proper seats for little children.
Frank

This is kinda like comparing apples to oranges. The MB is a very safe car...however the RR is big and solid. Yes, it will roll over easier that the MB but not if you drive in properly. And the RR being bigger than most cars on the road will usually come out better in a collision with a smaller vehicle. Pick the vehicle which bests suits your everyday driving needs.....MB for city and highway, RR for city, highway, and possible off-road or camping, fishing, etc. ___________________________________________
haute in die Tasten:

When it comes to safety, there's no other choice but MB. It would be an easy decision in my mind.
The S500 has elliptical crumple zones, air bags everywhere (front, sides, rear), pre-safe anticipatory technology safeguards (car reacts to emergency response use of steering, braking, yaw, and puts seats upright, tightens seatbelts, closes windows and sunroof, pre-readies the brakes), plus the S500 center of gravity is very nicely low to the ground. I'd rather slide sideways than roll around in a huge cavern of an SUV. I've seen article after article of people walking away from terrible accidents, rollovers, overhead construction beams dropping, and they open the doors and walk away from their bashed-up Mercedes. I had a similar accident myself -- 70 mph rollover into the ditch, landing into a tree. I crawled out with nothing worse than a wrinkled shirt and airbag scrapes on my forehead. The car was unrecognizable, except for the fact it was silver.
I used to like Range Rovers, but they're too tall, they sway on turns (more so at freeway speeds), have big rattly cabins and poor visibility for the majority of the lower traffic surrounding it. I have friends who waited years for their model; they tried to enjoy it for a year, but got tired of handles, switches and knobs snapping off on first use. Their electrical systems never got ironed out, and they went with an ML500 to replace it.
S500, no doubt about it. If I lived near the Serengeti and wanted to tour the area, I'd have a different opinion. But I don't, I live among stupid, smart, crazy, fast, slow, attentive, distracted, skilled drivers that I have to deal with every time I start my car.
haute in die Tasten:

S-class

Some 10 years ago a guy in a Mercedes SL R129 managed to turn over his car on a german Autobahn in an high speed accident (starting at 120 mph) a dozen times. Accidentally he was filmed at this moment by a traffic surveillance camera. His life was saved by the fact that he had enough room to let the car slide until standstill. If he had crashed against a bridge pillar, he would have died instantly. The only harm he took from that accident was minor scratches. The guy was able to leave the car on his own feet without the help of others. Do not try this at home or in your SUV...
Frank

In 78 I would a 2 door Range Rover and was located in Venezuela. We took a weekend drive to a rural beach over small rivers and narrow dirt roads. On the way back, a small truck (about 5 tons) coming against us too fast did not take the turn well and slammed into the Range Rover on our side of the road. Our driver side was smashed into the steel pillars, and the window shattered. Some had nicks from the shattered glass otherwise no one was injured. After the police arrived, we were able to drive away, the truck had to be towed. (We had no air bags in those days, just seat belts.
I have not yet managed to crash my E320, but I am sure that it would not have been able to drive away, though we might well survive. An S class would be about the same in my estimation. There is nothing quite as solid as a box section chasis.
Bob 2001 E320
Frank Kemper wrote:

This 25-year-old anecdote is of no relevance to cars today.
DAS
You are correct for the BMW designed Range Rover which no longer has a box section chasis and so would not provide as much survivability, since the past 2 years. However, it was relevant for all the English designed RRs which did have box section chasis up until fairly recently, plus of course air bags..
An even compared to a 78 S280? or whatever the S class of the day.....we would not likely have fared as well is we did in the Range Rover in that kind of almost frontal/slightlu oblique crash, and certainly not the car.
Bob Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

My point is that a RR/S-Class crash of today would be with completely differently-designed cars (at least I would hope so!)
Mercs are extremely safe as has been proved in many accidents. Nevertheless, the outcome also depends on the detailed circumstances of the accident. Obviously I am glad you came out uninjured but the result says nothing about the cars of today. If you are saying that the RR only recently changed its design, then maybe then that says little about the previous development team/s.
Your E will be fine, too.
DAS
haute in die Tasten:

Yes I do have a source. This type of thinking goes into the design of the car. You wont see it printed in any brochure.

So you do not have a source.
Frank

haute in die Tasten:

the
put your finger in your nose and play the bagpipes

Okay, you had your chance. Welcome to my killfile, boobyhead!
*PLONK*

haute in die Tasten:

Its called blocked sender file and it doesnt kill anything except useless conversation.
In

Hmm, S-Class... accident... Princess Diana?
I'd say there's not much in the Range Rover - S class myself, the new Range Rover is a fantastic car with one of the best interiors I've ever seen.
I was driving one today, lovely, quiet, refined, well equipped.....
... until the dashboard lighting, sat nav and radio all went off for no reason...
looks like BMW / Ford / Range Rover still can't build a decent car in this country, although I'd still be tempted to get one instead of an S-Class because the interior would be such a nice place to spend time waiting for the breakdown services.
--
Pete M

Alfa 164 TS,

I dont think you realise what I am speaking about. That was a very old car - the type of car used was attributed to the death. There was a specific mention of the fact that such models are never used for VIP transit.
Please keep your facts under control.

Please stop telling BS. In Germany the old W140 is still a common type of transportation for politicians and top managers, because they use the armored version (which is hard to replace). The Princess Diana car was not armored, and the only peson who survived the crash wore the seatbelt. Even in the new Maybach (sat in one recently) the use of a seatbelt is mandatory. The rear seats are designed in that way that you can put them in a rest position and still be protected by the seatbelt (they avoid the submarining effect).
Frank

As ususal Frank is right.
Frank Kemper wrote:

*blush* Das wr' doch nicht ntig gewesen...
Frank