s-class versus range rover; safety

" Miro" haute in die Tasten:

Do you think you are the only person with contact to a Mercedes engineer? I repeat my request: Stop telling BS

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

greek_philosophizer haute in die Tasten:

I think the guys who had this idea were perfectly sober at that time. One Fatory Engineer[tm] once told me during the presentation of the W210 E class, that the complaint "lack of power" is frequently uttered by buyers of the biggest engines. BTW: During that presentation I got the chance to have a brief test run with a W124 500E with sports suspension setup and

16'' rims - ohmygod!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

You try to change the subject of the thread, but still can not further prove your statement.

So I repeat: Either the _factory engineer_ was drunk or you lie.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

An obvious difference between you and Frank is that _Frank_ has lots of knowledge.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

put your finger in your nose and play the bagpipes

Reply to
Miro

Some elitist penis pulling contest. If I am able to hear it with my ears then it is valid as much as 1000 years of your knowledge. I am unworthy of speaking to such a high priest.

Reply to
Miro

Or you are not able to open a discussion unless it is on your terms - which makes you incapable of social contact.

Reply to
Miro

" Miro" haute in die Tasten:

Okay, you had your chance. Welcome to my killfile, boobyhead!

*PLONK*
Reply to
Frank Kemper

Its called blocked sender file and it doesnt kill anything except useless conversation.

Reply to
Miro

Actually I am not sure that German beer is so superior. Some of the stuff from Bavaria is pretty good, but the rest? Spent two days drinking Koelsch in Cologne (where else?) last week and I was not impressed. The problem is that German producers still tend to follow the old beer purity laws which rather restrict the ingredients and flavours. It's not a legal requirement anymore but just a habit In Belgium and Britain we have a far more interesting range of flavours.

And, gasp, (risk of flaming), the North American micro-breweries have come a long way and produce excellent beers. Maybe that's why so much technology comes from the US, what with young geeks sitting around boozing and dreaming up wacky ideas...?....

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I am not sure the Smart was dreamed up entirely by Mercedes. Swatch had a hand in it.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Funny one ! What are the chances of the seat belt being converted into a buckle strap or for that matter the notion that once you hit 80 you have to go all the way around the speedo to stop.

Reply to
Miro

You may think it's funny, but then the truth is always funnier than fiction.

You mean you did not know?

DC bought out the Swatch share. Here is a good summary:

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

Actually there is a big and beefy argue between inhabitants of Cologne and Duesseldorf going on about the question wether Koelsch (cologne beer) or Alt (duesseldorf beer) meet the criterie for wepons of mass destruction;-) please see also the web page

(Koelsch is no beer).

There is also one joke around: Two guys from cologne and one from duesseldorf are heading for a pub to have a beer. The first cologne guy says to the waitress: "One Koelsch please!" The other cologne guy also says "One Koelsch for me, please." Then the guy from duesseldorf says: "One glass of warm buttermilk for me please!". The other two guys are astonished, and he adds: "Well, if you won't have a beer, then I won't have a beer neither."

Foreigners who travel to Germany are recommended to try some Flensburger Pilsener (Flensburg, Danish border), Veltins Pilsener or Jever Pilsener (everywhere available), and almost any local brand available in Bavaria, but outsides the city area of munich.

Frank (living in Munich and thinking that Munich beers are mediocre)

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Yes, I know that this has nothing to do with MB, but I cannot allow this vile calumny to remain unchallenged. I was trying to bite my tongue, but even the very suggestion that _Bavarian_ (ugh, patooie) or God forfend, Alt beer might even possibly be superior to my beloved Koelsch is too much to bear. A frisch Koelsch, vom fass, in e rueuersche is the best damn beer on the planet. It must be fresh (whence the small glasses), cool, not cold, and with the proper head. Bottled is second best, and 'tinnies' a distant third best, but still better that the execrable Alt. Koelle alaaf!!

OB the topic: you can probably carry more of whatever beer in the Range Rover than in the S, but neither is safe if you drink the beer before driving. You are very much more likely to rollover while driving drunk in the Range Rover, and much more likely to walk away from a S-class roll-over.

John M. never drives drunk in his '94 E320

Reply to
John Mauel

Are you sure that is the right web page name?

"

was not found"

is the message I got.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Try

Juergen (loves Danish beer)

greek_philos>

Reply to
Juergen .

I did take a big risk on one occasion and ordered an Alt (in Cologne), and that could have been warm buttermilk as well...just because they burn one of the ingredients to give it the colour doesn't make it a great beer...

Ever tried Newcastle Brown or a Samuel Smith's equivalent? Now THERE are dark beers.

As regards the lagers mentioned by Frank, yes, not bad. Could also mention Hacker-Pschorr and Loewenbraeu (to get to his region, but they are probably both topped by Flanders's Duvel. Maybe it's the extra 1 percentage point alcohol, maybe not, but that really packs a punch. And what about the brown beers brewed by all those Belgian monks?

About a year ago we spent a long weekend in Bruges and I found this amazing beer shop just off the main square. Hundreds of varieties, almost all Belgian...beer heaven...

As regards Merc, I can tell you that last year I came back from the Continent in my well-laden CLK Cabrio (which has very little storage space) and still managed to slip in a case of Leffe (Belgian) and Budweiser (the real thing from the Czech Republic) each, acquired in the terminal shop at the French end of Le Shuttle at prices to make you weep when you normally have to pay UK prices...

As I don't really want to end on--car-topic I should like to mention that a couple of weeks ago (i.e. the week before Cologne etc) I was in this provincial town in southern Poland and popped into the local supermarket to check out the booze department. Of course there's loads of vodka at silly prices but the beers...A surprisingly good selection, given it was a smallish town in a not very wealthy region. Staropramen (brilliant Prague beer) and other Czech beers for about 70 eurocents (c. GBP 0.55) per 500 ml, and that was the expensive stuff. Decent Polish beer for maybe 50 or 40 eurocents per 500 ml. At least there we can rationalise with the low local wages, but in western Europe?

Sigh DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

In 78 I would a 2 door Range Rover and was located in Venezuela. We took a weekend drive to a rural beach over small rivers and narrow dirt roads. On the way back, a small truck (about 5 tons) coming against us too fast did not take the turn well and slammed into the Range Rover on our side of the road. Our driver side was smashed into the steel pillars, and the window shattered. Some had nicks from the shattered glass otherwise no one was injured. After the police arrived, we were able to drive away, the truck had to be towed. (We had no air bags in those days, just seat belts.

I have not yet managed to crash my E320, but I am sure that it would not have been able to drive away, though we might well survive. An S class would be about the same in my estimation. There is nothing quite as solid as a box section chasis.

Bob

2001 E320

Frank Kemper wrote:

Reply to
bobb2

This 25-year-old anecdote is of no relevance to cars today.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling