S/W switch - good heavens!

I've been using my C240 in only the W mode till now because the dealer said that that's "standard" mode while S stands for "Sport"... not
true, if previous threads on this group, which I've just now been scanning through, are to be believed!!
If as has been said hereabouts the W is just for winter driving in icy conditions, I'm using it in the exact right country - United Arab Emirates :)))))
Can't wait to turn the key on and press the S button :\
Ramapriya
it should have been identified in your manual. it's been labeled slightly different across models but basically one setting starts out in 2nd gear while the other starts out in 1st gear (from a stop). if you're trying to get more miles per tank, all things being equal, you should get more when in the W or C mode....as oppose to S mode. also when in W/C during icey or snow conditions, you're less likely to spin the tire from a standing stop.
D Ramapriya wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

But I also now know why my car has always felt as inertial as it has... it's probably the only gripe I've had thus far with my Merc!
The 5 miles or so per liter will reduce hereon but I'm changing to the S mode nonetheless :)
Ramapriya

Perhaps you want to know, if you change to an S with 7G-tronic, it would start with the second gear in "normal" or comfort mode, in "S" or sports mode it would start with the first gear, and at kick down of course always.

Also I note that my wife, for example, can't stand the 1st gear start and much prefers fthe 'smooth' start of 2nd gear. Myself, only when I'm drinking a coffee while driving :-)
cheers