Safest car?

Page 1 of 5
Safety is very important to me, and is the most important thing when buying a car. I have done my research and have figured the best car for me is either going to be a Buick LeSabre or a Mercedes E-Class (both ranked top
for safety). I can get them for around the same price (used) and plan on getting a 1997-2000. Quality is also very important to me, I keep my cars for around 10 years usually and need a car that will give me years of dependable service. Which one of these cars would be the better choice when it comes to saftey/quality/engineering. I have never owned a German car and that scares me, but from those that I have spoken too assure me they are very fine cars. Thanks for your help. I will be going to look at both on Monday.
William Hamilton wrote:

A Buick LeSabre ranking top in safety??
Could you please give an online source?

Give more info about the Mercedes. Which year, which engine?
Juergen (A BUICK LESABRE AS SAFE AS A MERCEDES W210???)
\

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_lglux.htm
As you can see, they both got "best pick".

Like I said, 1997-2000 is my target. I would only consider the 4.2L V8 in the Mercedes.
The only car to receive a five star rating in ALL seating positions is the Lincoln Town Car, according to the NHTSA web site.
mike hunt
"Jargon ." wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

How did the Roadmaster(Towncar clone) fare?
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:34:33 +0000, Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Can't say, but my 92 Chevy Caprice was rear ended while I was sitting still in traffic on a highway over a crest in the road.
The guy was driving a Taurus and by the time he hit me, had to be doing at least 40mph. I let off the brake just in time and floored it as the traffic in front of me started to move which lessend the impact I'm sure.
Net result, one totaled Taurus (brand new with 6k miles on it BTW) and a scratch on my rear bumper. Yep, just a scratch.
Parts of the Taurus were flying over the top of my car when he hit.
psycho
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:26:56 GMT, psycho pastrami wrote:

Yes, but how's your neck feeling these days? ;-)
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:56:21 +0000, Michael Hobbs wrote:

I hear ya!!
It was like being on a miserable rollercoaster ride, but I had a belt on and the head restraint was up, thank goodness because I am 6'1" !!!

There must be something about rear end collisions. Recently someone drove my S500 into a Nissan Maxima. By the time it hit it was already pretty slow (he tried to stop but didn't stop in time). My 98 S500 had more than $9000 of damage, while the Maxima had NO obvious damage at all. (The people in the S500 only felt small jerk, no injuries or nothing, the driver in the Maxima was jolted more).
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:04:57 +0000, Joe Liu wrote:

Could be, but I know my Caprice has an I-Beam bumper on shock absorbers.

Usually the car approaching from the rear is doing a "panic" stop and the front end dives under the rear of the car ahead.. Lots of damage to the front of the offending car. Little (other than bumper damage) to the car ahead.
Howard
psycho pastrami wrote:

Gotta love that image. Lol(for real).
"Oh - did something just hit me?"
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/Cars/216.html
4 stars driver, 2 stars passenger. Rather disappointing..
Of course, the NHTSA crash tests are the equivalent of a collision with a vehicle of similar weight, so realistically that's not bad, but still..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Also look at this, though American cars (i.e. US-brands made in the US) hardly figure: http://www.euroncap.com/index.htm

Hmmm, interesting. I talk to several people who said their quality was very high. Also read a used buyers guide that also stated they were known for their high levels of quality, maybe you got a lemon..?

Agreed. Wouldn't consider one without it. Can I extend a starmark once its time period of a year has ended?

I am an EMT, if you saw some of the car accidents I have responded to, you would want a safe car too.
I'd stay home!
Boy you had better do your homework. Late model MBs have terrible reliabilty and quality control problems.

(he's a garage manager) says that their quality has just gone downhill since they and DC merged.

MBs authority (not positive though) when they're selling them.

Yes! Forgot to even mention that I looked at a 5 series and that was a real joy to drive! It doesn't look like its as solid as the Benz but if I hear good things I would consider it. Out of all the sedans thats one of the more handsome cars on the market. I was lucky enough to drive the 540i, love the V8 power and smoothness.