Saw a Maybach on the street today...

I saw a Maybach 62 on Church street, across the street from ground zero today.

It was solid black with black tinted windows all around. Even the windshield was tinted as dark as the other windows (never saw that before). I didn't have time to loiter around to see who it belonged to, but I would have liked to know.

Pretty impressive, I must say.

By the way, are they no longer making the 57? I checked out the site and there is no mention of model numbers any more, its just called 'The Maybach' with pictures of only the 62. Was the 57 not selling or something, or are they just not emphasizing it anymore? It seems like a major waste to tool up such an expensive production line for a car like that and just produce one model year.

Thomas J. Paladino New York City

04 S430 04 E320 99 SLK230 95 S320
Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

It seems a major waste ? Is that owning one or selling one ?

Reply to
Miro

I have seen two on the streets now, one black one in London (where it looked even bigger as most of the other cars are small) and one silver parked up in Vegas.

IMO they look much better in the flesh, probably in no small part due to the fact Mercedes seem to choose ugly colour combinations for the press / advertising cars, the Maybach advert in this weekend's FT had a dark brown car, yuk

Ben

Reply to
Big Ben

While looking at the Maybach website I was amused to see that Merc management cannot resist the temptation to go off at a tangent.

After white goods (household electrical goods to Americans) and aerospace it's watches.

What's wrong with concentrating on cars?

Anyway, I found a ref to both the 57 and the 62 in the section called "The Maybach" (click exterior/dimensions)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

The outside is nothing, the inside is what makes these cars worth the money - and the performance. There is literally nothing you can buy today that competes. Try spending some quality time in the back of the newest Rolls or Bentley then try the Maybach - no comparison, the Brit cars seem stone aged by comparison.

They still make the 57 - they just don't need to advertise it; the 62 is the chauffer direvn one the 57 is the drivers car, and you're not likely to buy one because of an add, you'd buy one because you know the car and have been waiting

3 years for it.
Reply to
Richard Sexton

They've sold watches for years; this is not new.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I think I know who own that car... a friend's client owns it... just got it too...

Reply to
Tiger

No, the 57 is still in production.

Some time later there will be the Maybach 53, starting at roughly 200.000 Euro plus taxes.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Yeah, it looked brand new.

He must be pretty obsessed with privacy though; It was completely impossible to see inside at all. I've never seen a car with the front windshield tinted black.

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Very true, as far as it goes. But didn't production of the 62 start relatively recently compared to the 57? If so, that would explain its getting more exposure.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

I'm not certain but I don't think so. ALl I do know is they've sold 3X as many Maybachs in their first year out than Rolls Royce sold the same year; apparanly MB's expectatoins were exceedes. Rightly so I say.

I'm WAY behind on putting up the literally thousands of pictures from the Amelia Island concours, but I did put the Maybachh pictures up:

Richard Sexton

True, but hasn't company quality been declining for years? :-)

Yes, this watch must be their fanciest yet? I suppose it goes with the Maybach, their fanciest car yet.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I think the watch production is outsourced, but I get your very valid point. Check out the wristwatch that comes with the new SLR:

;) Only £6,600 (obviously you must have the car to be allowed to buy the watch - another £313,465!).

300Essie
Reply to
300 Essie

Good God.. it's a frigging tourbillion. Those things are tens of thousands of dollars no matter who makes them.

There's a bunch of different Mercedes watches, some are not much better than a Swatch, while others have the same movement ("guts") as the Omega Speedmaster, the Lemania Cal 1873. The Troubillion pictured here would almost certainly have been made by Lemania, who to this day make Bregeut watches; Breguet invented the tourbillion.

This is a very serious, very expensive watch; I'd imagine it costs about the same as a new SLK.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Reply to
Ennui Society

Don't believe in the ridiculous DC marketing talk - Maybach sales are _way_ behind the wishful thinking of DC: They talked about 1000 cars a year worldwide - but so far e.g. in Germany they sold 57 cars since production began in 2002...

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

No, a 4-door sedan.

Seems DC has realized their production forecasts - 1000 Maybachs a year - haven't exactly met reality (to say it in a polite way and to avoid terms like _amateur idiots_ and _complete loss of reality_).

So they will produce a smaller variant, the Maybach 53 which with its entry price of roughly 200.000 Euros without tax shall attract buyers of top-of-the-line S-Classes etc. pp. (which start at ca. 110.000 Euro without tax in standard trim).

Juergen

Juergen .

Won't they at least expand to 2-door coupé and cabriolet edition?

Rolls-Royce is look> Ennui Society wrote:

Reply to
Ennui Society

Yes, but MB aways sells more cars in Los Angeles alone than all of Germany. Do we have any worldwide sales figures?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Germans are less conspicious than English or American when it comes to the luxury cars. That explains numerous 'naked' boots on Mercedes-Benz and BMW where the decals denoting the motor displacement were to be.

Oliver

Juergen . wrote:

Reply to
Ennui Society