Second gear shift on R107

Hi all,

I was just curious if my car was supposed to do this, or if something is wrong. It doesn't sound normal to me though. The car in question is a 1982 euro 500SL. If I have the gas pedal floored while the car is in second gear, when the car reaches redline, it doesn't just shift to third. The rev-limiter or something engages and it will just hang in second gear until I let up on the gas a little. Does anyone else's car do this? I've never driven another SL, so I have no basis for comparison. Thanks.

Reply to
PaulG

Don't worry about it - flooring a 24 year old engine to red line will solve all the car's problems soon enough.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

PAULG: I THINK THIS VEHCILE HAS UP SHIFT DELAY CABLE, WHICH IS INFLUENCED BY A VACUUM SOURCE. INSPECT VACUUM SOURCES AT TRANS. AND CABLE ADJUSTMENT UP AT THE THROTTLE LINKAGES//

Reply to
WRENCHER

Thanks, I'll look at both of those. I've had the vacuum modulator (I think that's what it is called) for the transmission replaced already. I've never driven another R107, so I didn't know if they all did this in second gear. I couldn't see why the car would just hang in second instead of just shifting to third.

WRENCHER wrote:

Reply to
PaulG