Second gear shift on R107

Hi all,
I was just curious if my car was supposed to do this, or if something is wrong. It doesn't sound normal to me though. The car in question is a 1982 euro 500SL. If I have the gas pedal floored while the car is
in second gear, when the car reaches redline, it doesn't just shift to third. The rev-limiter or something engages and it will just hang in second gear until I let up on the gas a little. Does anyone else's car do this? I've never driven another SL, so I have no basis for comparison. Thanks.
Don't worry about it - flooring a 24 year old engine to red line will solve all the car's problems soon enough.
PAULG: I THINK THIS VEHCILE HAS UP SHIFT DELAY CABLE, WHICH IS INFLUENCED BY A VACUUM SOURCE. INSPECT VACUUM SOURCES AT TRANS. AND CABLE ADJUSTMENT UP AT THE THROTTLE LINKAGES//
Thanks, I'll look at both of those. I've had the vacuum modulator (I think that's what it is called) for the transmission replaced already. I've never driven another R107, so I didn't know if they all did this in second gear. I couldn't see why the car would just hang in second instead of just shifting to third.