self leveling problems

got a busted shock in my 87 300td wagon and , instead of relacing it, im going to replace both rear shocks with regular shocks and disable the hydrallic. anyone else ever done this ?

Reply to
billemery

That is if you don't mind the 'sagging' end when loaded. Don't be too cheap with Mercedes-Benz cars. If you cannot afford the shock, well, there's always lovely Chevrolet Caprice station wagon with all of cheap parts in abundance at the junkyard...

My father agonised over the decision to disable the rear hydropneumatic suspension in his 1977 450SEL because he could not afford to replace the worn system. However, he found a shop who knows the stuff and told him that it only needed new valve regulator which was gummed up badly. It solved the 'stiff' ride syndrome. He eventually replaced the old gas spheres. Then fuel injection system. Then upholstery. Then fuel supply system. Then vacuum actuators for locking system. Then...

Yes, he still has that 450SEL in the garage awaiting for the 'antique car' numberplates next year. Germany allows the antique cars to be registered without catalysators provided that they be at least thirty years or older. Otherwise, the annual taxation and registration for 'dirty' car is too much for Sunday drives so my father decommissioned his 450SEL three years ago and looked after it ever since.

When we lived > got a busted shock in my 87 300td wagon and , instead of relacing it, im

Reply to
OM

I've seen posts in the NG in the past where folks have replaced the system with Bilstein shocks and seem to be content. I do seem recall, however, that whether you replace the system with shocks or repair it with original you need to replace the springs. These are usually worn by now and if you do not replace them your "new" suspension will be shot in a couple of years.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Ditto... sagging springs will cause the hydropneumatic shock to fail because the shock is doing more duty to keep the car level.

Reply to
Tiger