Shift chain in 190E?

Hi,
I recently bought a 190E from 1984 (270.000 km) and I was told by a friend that I should replace the chain in the topchamber if I didn't know whether it has been replaced before. He said it should be replaced
for every 200.000 km. Anyone know if this is true?
Thanks,
Michael
I'm going to presume that the "chain" he referred to is the timming chain, which at this year would have been a single row chain. The chain tensioner should have been replaced and the chain inpsected for wear and stretch.
The timing chain can be checked for wear and stretch by an experienced M-B mechanic. The engine stops when the chain breaks and the valves may be smashed by the pistons, depending on whether this is a "free" or "interference" engine. So, if in doubt, at least find out which type of engine this one is ("free" or "interference") and that fact will determine the urgency of replacing the timing chain.