Shifter illumination

I have a 1984 380SE. The other evening I was driving and noticed that there is no illumination in the console, which makes me have to look closely to insure I have selected the right range. I planned to open
the console and replace a bulb, but then I thought why start that unless I know that there should be illumination there.
So my question is: is there supposed to be illumination there? If so, is it a bulb or one of those plastic cables that carry light?
Not@home wrote:

On my '87 250D it's a bulb that's inserted on the front-left side of the shifter assembly. I know this because I accidentally pulled the bulb and its plastic holder out when putting in a new stereo. I ended up wondering (like you) if it wasn't supposed to be illuminated. Well, on my car it was ;)
Ximinez
I got that car before. I had the same problem. The W126 shifter illumination is lit via fiber optic. The bulb is up on center dash behind the climate control. That bulb also lit up all the windows and other switches in the lower and upper center console.
Pull out ashtray... pull out the ashtray insert... two screws to remove... pull entire ashtray assembly out... Pull out your radio... and look way back. You may have to remove the upper console piece... once you remove the radio, you can see the upper two screws mount.
It has been a while so I can't totally remember everything.