Shifting problems.

I have a W124 E300 TD. The 24V six cylinder diesel. A few months ago I experienced some shifting problems. When the tranny is about to shift to 3:rd gear, the engine revs up before it engages. Feels like some kind of
slippage here. Only when shifting into 3:rd... I have The other gears do engage as they should.I discovered a way to get around it though. Just when it΄s about to shift to 3:rd, I press down the gas pedal and the shifting goes perfectly. But something΄s wrong with it.. Any clues? Anyone?
Best regards Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

Might be as simple as dirty fluid. Change it, and the filter.
You have checked the tranny fluid level right? If it's low it can do this.
βœ–
I have changed the oil and the filter. No improvement though...
Add pictures here
βœ–
How many miles on the odometer?
Add pictures here
βœ–
You stated that you changed the oil and filter, but I believe Richard was referring to transmission fluid and screen.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have changed the oil and the screen in the tranny but no improvement. 320 000 km on the odometer. About 200 000 miles. Could it be something with the vacuum?
Add pictures here
βœ–
End of tranny life... just get a rebuilt one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have an '83 300SD with over 338,000 miles on it. It, too, tends to want to overrev when going from first to second, and sometimes second to third. However, I DO NOT apply more throttle. When I start off, being aware of this quirk, I watch the tach and if the engine starts to race, I let off the throttle, and the tranny drops into gear just fine. I've had this problem for around 40-50,000 miles, and it hasn't gotten better, of course, but it hasn't gotten worse, either. Babying it like I do, I will probably get the half million I am looking for. My main point is that I would suggest easing off the gas rather than getting on it when your tranny tends to race. Try to catch it before it builds up too many rpms and it may last for, hell, who knows how long?

Add pictures here
βœ–

K1, K2 springs are weak. Replace. Parts are like $30 on ebay. Easy to do with the trans in place.
http://articles.mbz.org/transmission/k1 /
βœ–
Are you saying that all I need do is have the K1 and K2 springs replaced? No sh*t? I do so need to do that if that is the case. Naturally, I'm thinking worse case scenario, like, it's the trans and if it goes, I'll need another one, or have to drive my SL all the time. I take it that my mechanic could do this repair with no problem, then?

βœ–

Uh, crap, no, k1 and k2 control 3d and 4th. Sorry missed that. Have you chaged the filter and fluid?
Sounds like the clutch packs are buggered. That's not someting you can fix when it's in the car. But you can do it yourself.
βœ–

No, I haven't changed the filters and fluid in the tranny yet, but thanks for reminding me. I think I will this week. The place where I get my oil changed every 3000 miles has been running a special, and I guess it would be alright to let these guys change fluid...that isn't rocket science. My regular mercedes mechanic is the only one who touches the car for real repairs. Sounds like a plan.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Make sure they drain the toque convertor. Turn the engine over by the crank bolt till the drain plug appears, undo it, drain. Refill the tranny, start the engine and with foot onthe brake go through all the gears and let it sit there for a few seconds in each to make sure the new fluid gets everywhere. Check fluid level agian when it's warm with engine running and adjust till it's correct.
βœ–

That sounds like it might be a bit much for the kids who have their hands full changing oil and other fluids. Perhaps I would be better served to stop in at my regular Benz Mech and have him do it. I don't mind paying a bit more and there is a pretty neat cafe next door to wait in...beers from all around the world. Gotta' love that!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hmmmmm, had my transmission oil changed last summer. I like to do these kind of things at the dealership AND I like to watch the mechanic and hopefully get a sundry of tips..... there is no way the mechanic did all things you alude to above.... you MUST be pulling our leg here.... Ha ha ha
cheers, guenter
Add pictures here
βœ–

Uh, no. Check the factory manual.
βœ–
On 2006-02-24 15:25:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) said:

I don't believe that shifting through the gears in a stationary car is going to fill the convertor. I think driving it a bit and then checking and topping off is required.
Richard has much more experience with this particular operation though....
Add pictures here
βœ–

It fills the valve body and all those weird circuitous paths inside same. That's the important mechanical control circuitry.
Frankly I have no idea how the torque convertos gets filled but I was told to not worry about it. So I don't.

Oh yeah, I've doen it exactly ONCE. But, under the tutelige (sp?) of an extremely competant MB mechanic. And uh, I do have 400K miles on on my orginal tranny.
You absolutely will need to check the fluid level after you've filled it.
If you've drained the torque convertor and you add the correct amount of fluid it should be close, but after you've deiven it a bit and it's all nice and warm you test it again on level ground with the engine running.
And you clean the dipstic off with your CLEAN fingers to clear the dipstick then wipe your fingers on a shop rag. Even a tiny piece of lint can screw up the tranny, you absolutely need surgical cleanliness there.
βœ–