Shocks?

What is the best shocks for a 300SD? I need new shocks for my 84 . The last set of Bilstens lasted 68,000 miles, 5 yrs. Should they last longer than this?
I have a long gravel drive way, .4 miles so its kind of hard on the suspension. Less than two years on the Idler arm bushings and control rod mounts. Maybe I'm just had on the Car. John E Culver 1984 300SD 274K
Bilstein have lifetime warranty on the shocks... just get new one from them. That long gravel road will kill any new shock faster than Bilsteins.
Beside, what makes you think they are bad? Are they leaking badly?
With that much wear on suspension parts... wow... you are really hard on your car. Those parts should have lasted 10 years on normal road..
The fronts are leaking. JEC
Not to seem paranoid, but who says they are leaking? Have you seen the leak yourself?
mcbrue doubtfully under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
Yes I have seen that they leak. I just replaced the conrtol rod mounts and Idler arm bushings. They were oily. Also put new tires on, 215/55R16 and had front end alined. After all this the car has a slight pull to the right. I took it back and they said it was the shocks. I want to resolve this issue before I get any miles on the new tires. JEC

As has been mentioned Bilstein has a lifetime warrenty. Just get new ones. All other shocks won't work as well.
Do you have any tire scrubbing against the wheel well with those tires? I put 215/55-16 on my 83 300SD and they'll scrub going over a decent sized bump. 205/65-15 doesn't nor does the stock 205/70-14.
No scrubbing at all. You might have a different offset on your wheels
The last set were 205/55/R16 and I thought they looked to small in the wheel well. I was afraid 225/55/R16 would be too wide. JEC
Actually I am running 225 50R16... 55 series are also acceptable. on W126... it is not too wide.
McBrue, he has the Bilstein Touring shocks (black color)... not the typical Bilstein Yellow Monotube one...
The Touring version is simply the normal twin tubes shock absorbers like Monroe, Gabriel, KYB, etc... that definitely will wear out in just 3 years. Heck I used to change Monroe every 2 years! They leaked like crazy.