Shorted Out Gauges

Can someone please tell me what may cause my gauges in my 1989 560SL to appear to be shorted out. I've checked all fuses and that does not appear to be the problem. When my gauges stop working, my windows cannot be
operated. However, the gauges do not stay shorted out all the time; they sometimes work and sometimes don't.
IS THERE A RELAY THAT CONTROLS THE GAUGES?
I am telling you that it is the fuse... physically take that fuse out and you will find it corroded at the contact area or fall apart in your hand.

Your electrns are stopping someplace. Find out where. Do you have 12V at the gauges? Do you have a clean ground there? My money is on a bad ground.