Should I buy 1984 Merc 500 SEL?

I'm wondering if anybody could make me aware of the pitfalls of buying such an old car? It has done 160,000 miles (250,000 km).

I don't really know much about cars, can anybody let me know what I should check for when I go to view the car ?

I'm assuming things like brake pads, cam belt and stuff but I have absolutely no idea.

Thanks Johnnie

Reply to
The Rai

Why do want this old gas hog?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

hat its a nice car if you have a few grand to fix things as they brake. as far as the gas hog theory goes who cares its still cheaper than a new car!

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

There are three rules that ALWAYS apply when buying an older MB. Always buy the nicest model you can find and always buy a car with the maintainence history paperwork. And always have any car you are considering buying checked over by a mechanic you trust. That said, no matter what car you buy there will be things that will need to be fixed. But you don't want to have to start fixing the really expensive things such as AC, transmission, timing chain and related parts, upper engine valve system, cams, pistons, etc. A

Reply to
Rockman59

Yep, thats exactly the thing that I'm scared of. If a mechanic has already told him that the engine is only good for another few thousand miles or something. The problem is the seller lives about 320km away so I can take the train to see him but would then have to drive around to a mechanics garage for it to be given a check over....

The car just looks so cool though.......arrrgghhh my heart is starting to rule my brain.....

Johnnie

Reply to
The Rai

Keep looking. A 420SEL has the same look without many of the rear suspension headaches. Your risk will be little things that break but cost big money.

Reply to
John

IMHO you, who profess to know little about cars, would be crazy to buy such an old car. Sure, it looks nice but YOU are at the mercy of the repair shop when you bring this old dog to their door.

These old cars are cheap alternatives for someone who not only understands cars but also undertakes the repairs and maintenance himself. Otherwise such a car is a fool's paradise, IMHO, that's why the car's price SEEMS like a bargain vs. a new car.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

IMHO that car looks like something a New York City pimp would be proud to drive.

Remember, your question was as to the viability of owning such an old car, you've received several answers to that. Hope its owners have spent as much on The Car as on its glitz.

It's your money.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I purchased a very very nice 1985 500SEL back in July 03. It has 82,000 documented miles. I'm the second owner, and everything workes on this car. No rust, nearly perfect leather. Even the spare tire was still wrapped in the shipping labels, and the tool kit was still in it's plastic bag that says

500SEL. I only paid $5000.00 for the car. Personally, I got it at a bargan. It's rare to find them in this kind of condition anymore. The S-Class V8's are not cheap (or any MB) to fix. Be patient. I was not even looking when I found this gem! I had a 1998 C230, and I sold it because I wanted this car bad, and I could not afford to own two MB's. The SEL is a much better car by the way!
Reply to
VIPERS969

HELL NO ARE YOU NUTS!! I have an 84 190e and have changed everything on it -- myself so I saved but i am dying to rid of it. Mercedes isnt bad just old ones are. TRUST ME.. from a guy who hates to go to the grocery store cause of the damn thing. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Gio9