Should I buy this car?

Page 1 of 2
I saw this car on the net a while ago, and it really struck my attention.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/348895239.html
He is holding it for me for now. He told me it cranks over but it wont
fire up. He suggests it to be a timing issue. The car has 78k on it, and judging by how the car looked in person, I would say thats accurate. What do you guys think. I think it would be worth the $1500, even if it cost a little bit more to get it going again. The thing is, I'm not sure how much its going to cost to get it running again, and if severe engine damage has occurred.
BUY IT! It is probably the fuel pump relay or OVP relay fuse as if someone tried to jump start it wrong. Even if something major is bad, the parts on the car is worth way more... hell even selling the car whole is worh more.
Thats what I figured you would say, the fuel pump relay. I checked that when I went there, the date was 1996. Yeah I practically shit myself when I went and looked at the car and realized he only wanted $1500 for it. Im going to go ahead and get it. What is strange though, when I went there, the car was a 560 SEC, not a 500. Could it be badged wrong?
Probably someone wants to show off... look at door sticker for year made... look in engine compartment for black sticker to tell you whether it is 5.0 liter or 5.6...
Or maybe someone stuck a 560 trunk on it.
It could be fuel pump too but doubt it.
It can also have a dead ignition module. The silver boxes die all the time....

I meant what you said when you told me the fuel pump relay.

I want the wheels. Dibs mufuggers.
LOL... yeah I saw thos wheels too... Lorinser wheels. I too would want them but I don't have W126 anymore. I scored a set of Lorinser wheels with the 15 holes style... super rare for my friend. Right now, it is being refurbished back to original condition. Someone chromed it... lousy chrome job.
The original link isn't working anymore, do you have a picture of the wheels? I Have W126 weheels coming and going all the time - currently have 6 sets on their way to me (mostly Aero I's but also some split rims) I often come across various Lorinser rims, but they were never popular here in the UK, I'm curious which ones are sought after.
Alan M.

You're kidding right? Any 16" 126 wheels are desirable. Any Lorinser or ROnal 126 wheels are desirable.
At this point I think my 16" Ronal Penta's are worth more than my car.
I know the Penta's are desireable but Lorinser just wasn;'t big here in the UK, more a mainland European market, so there is some interest in their wheels, just not as much as anything genuine AMG.

Beats me. What I know is BMW wheels of any size for any model can be found cheap - not so Mercedes wheels. 15" 126 wheels - even aftermarket ones, are not cheap.
16" 126 wheels are quite rare and never cheap.
Richard, Are these the ones that are sought after?
http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u14207420
I come across a few of these (I import from Japan which is where I find a lot of the odd sets).
I've simply not bothered with these to date as there'd be no interest here in the UK. But as you can see, they are available at around 50 ($100) a set if you have the ability to get them shipped.
I use UPS groupage shipping in containers, it takes a few weeks but I'll buy (via an agent) a fair few sets of wheels, get them packed and shipped to supply a market here in Europe with difficult to find items.
Also there are currently three sets of Pentas available, but not the W126 variety, they look look like the ones fitted to the early 190e's is there still a amrket for those?
Alan.
Oh wow... those are the one I want... I need that for my car W124... can you help me get them? I wondered what is shipping cost to USA
Talk to Sandborn at :-
http://www.goodsfromjapan.com /
He handles the bidding/transactions for me, for a fee of course.
I have UPS handling the wheels I've bought so far, I've bought 8 sets as a trial run, they are shipped domestically to UPS who pack them on a pallet and into a container on a groupage rate. I'm charged around $75 a cubic metre, plus paperwork and handling.
For the 8 sets of wheels it will cost me 310 + taxes to ship to the UK ($600) which I actually think is pretty reasonable considering how far they need to travel - that also includes local delivery to my warehouse once it gets here.
My first load is still to go through, UPS have been struggling with my request as this is the first time they've been asked to handle good in this manner. (They usually get it all in pre packed boxes - but they offer the packing service so they must be used to it to some extent.
There are a lot of very obscure parts available on Yahoo auction in Japan and also on http://www.rakuten.co.jp/ which is a trading site.
There's a business here if you can deal with the language and find someone local and trustworthy I've paid by Paypal using a credit card so far which gives me peace of mind (I pay the fees to cover this), but once I've struck up a trading relationship I'll deal directly and cut out PayPals high transaction fees.
With anything though, the more you buy the more efficient shipping is, so one set might just be a nuisance.
Alan M

Darn it... I missed this... Hey Alan, if you find another one, let me know... I really want one. Anywhere as long the shipping is reasonable.
If I stumble across some I'll pick them up knowing you want them, UPS should be able to get them to the States for a half sensible amount of money. Although with exchange rates as they are othing is cheap for you guys coming out of Europe.
You want these for a W124 and not a W126, so I figure the offsets are around the ET30 mark?
Yes, they are for W124... ET is around 37 got 8" wide... Somewhere around there.
By the way... no chrome wheels... no way... Thanks again.
Theres a set back on there:-
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/89246037
They come up reasonably regualrly, now if you were in Europe I'd ship these in then over to you, but as you're inthe states I'd suggest you try to find a shipper to bring it straight into you, it will be much cheaper.
Alan.