Should I pay 12k for this 1992 300E?

I have been thinking about this 1992 300E 3.0 liter (NO 4Matics) and wondering if it is a good investment. Maybe you guys can make better judgement. As far as I know, this is the information I obtained from the original owner.

- one owner

- low 49k miles

- no accidents, clear title

- white exterior, blue interior, excellent body

- garaged since new for 10 yrs until the owner moved to another house without garage.

- Major tune up recently at 48.5k miles that includes:

Two New Rear Tires MXV4+ Auto Transmission Fluid Change Differential Fluid Change Replaced Spark Plugs New Wire Set New Distributor Cap New Rotor Oil and Bosch Filter Change Fuel Filter Change Replaced Air Filter Flushed Brake Fluid Flushed Coolant Replaced Four Brake Pads

The owner seems pretty honest and told me the following known problems:

- A/C not working even though AC condenser has been recently replaced.

- some minor cracks on the wood trim around the shift area

- driver power seat has some random minor movements

I am not sure how expensive it is to fix the first two problems. I can bear the minor cracks on the wood trim. I have test drove the car. It is, otherwise, in very clean good condition. Still has lots of power. The leather still smells fresh. Am I paying too much?

Reply to
mbfans

Probably. Check out book price by going to Kelly's or MSN Car Point, then subtract about $2K to have the A/C fixed. You should then end up with a fair price.

Reply to
CRGILL

Reply to
Dan Streb

Your out of your mind. Where do you live?

Here in NY, that's a GREAT deal! I'd snatch it up if I was looking. I see cars like that selling for over $15,000 here.

Reply to
SST

It may be a little too high, a dealer near my house has a 97 E320, with 46K mile, in very good condition, go for $17K, and a 96 E320 (60K mile) for $15K Check eBay for completed transaction. Most pre 95 E serie sold for less than 10K mile, except the coupe and convertible (priceless)

Reply to
Con Cac

The price is definitely a fair price. When buying a 124 body of any year, the primary concern is condition. The climate control is not a problem to anyone who has owned a 124. There are certain things one must know. When buying a Mercedes one learns things like, never use green antifreeze only low phosphate amber-colored stuff. Forums can save huge money. Visit

tofind and subscribe to theforum specific to your model. P.

Reply to
pkmaven

A new compressor is about £500 for the part. But if the drier has disintegrated this could be something simple like the expansion valve clogged up with desiccant (about £40 for the expansion valve and about the same for a new drier). Could be just leak!

Sounds like a four year old car (which is what it is with that mileage effectively).

That depends on how you look at it I suppose. You could get a new A class for that cash, or the equivalent of a four year old, well maintained E class. I know where I would be putting my money; after owning a W124 I would have another in a heart beat. Mike

Reply to
Just Mike

If the compressor has been replaced and the AC still does not work, could be a clogged expansion valve (cheap to fix) or major repair, which is a costly all day affair.

Another other consideration is the head gasket, which is a known weak link on these engines. Expect it to go and expect the repair cost to $800 US.

The car also had issues with the radiator, thermostat, engine connections. Their is a plastic joint that cracks with age on nearly every W124.

Stout cars that will never let you down- provided you meticulously maintain them.

Best,

Ross

Reply to
John Doe