Should my 94 E420 stall when I remove air filter assembly?

With the air filter assembly off should my e420 stall or idle smoothly? I remember a while ago time ago removing my air filter assembly when changing air filters then trying to start engine and it
kept stalling, but recently I pulled air assembly off and car starts and idles normal...maybe a defective air mass sensor?
Thanks, Derf