sirius radio for 2005 models

do owners of 2005 models really need the Mercedes brand of sirius radio that costs $1000.00 or can we just go to the stereo shop and have an antanae and
module installed and subscribe to sirius ourselves?
On 12 Oct 2004 05:56:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DanielILederman) wrote:

not if you want it to be integrated into the command system

LOL... you obviously don't know Mercedes very well. The cars are wired so that nothing but mercedes equipment can be integrated into the computer system. That goes for cell phone handsets, CD changers, and of course most recently, sirius radio.
I have a Pioneer XM radio in my 2003 C320, dealer installed.

Walter Wise

On 13 Oct 2004 13:34:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (WPWise) wrote:

the operative words are 2005! thanks for playing
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DanielILederman) wrote in message

Go to Walmart and get an XM Roady2 ($129). You'll can be listening to XM before you leave the parking lot, if you have a cellphone.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DanielILederman) wrote in message

One word of caution.
You can never go back to ordinary radio once you cross into the XM-Zone.
And if XM had NPR and NFL it would be worth paying for. GET SIRIUS!

Actually, XM is doing its own thing with XM Public Radio, which includes Bob Edwards -- I actually think it is SUPERIOR to NPR.
If you, for some reason, want to LISTEN TO NFL GAMES ON THE RADIO, Sirius is your choice! I prefer watching the game on TV, myself.
Honestly, though -- XM's music is just so vastly superior to Sirius, that's really what seals the deal for me. Howard Stern and the NFL may be great. But XM's music is an order of magnitude better than Sirius'.
If someone absolutely has to have NFL and they like music, they would really have to have a subscription to each. Sirius' music just doesn't compete with XM's.
On 2004-10-12 00:56:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DanielILederman) said:

Go to www.mbworld.org. Tons of Q&As about satellite radio.

If you go to someone else to install, make sure they know what they are doing. I had the dealer install XM on a new C320 and they screwed it up. Been having elecrical problems from the start that were blamed on the XM install. Also, if the dealer doesn't do it, you may void the warranty.
Mercedes is having the VPC [vehicle preparation center] install Sirius radios as a 'factory' install now on all 2005 models except the M and G class. MBUSA is doing a slow roll out of this opton. S class started on 10/22/04, the others will come on line over the month and a half. It is option code 022 and has a MSRP of $699.

Yuck.
I hate the idea of a private for pay radio service...
Oh Well, Marty
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:46:06 -0700, Martin Joseph
so don't buy it
This fall most Mercedes dealers were offering a free sirius sat. radio with new purchases. Rick
On 21 Nov 2004 19:33:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rick ) wrote:

they were? its's a $700 option plus labor to install
JD: yep, and it mincluded a one year subscription free! Rick
That set off a light in my brain regarding Sirius. I took a look at the stock SIRI and it is SOARING. I just bought in and already I am ahead 1900$. I am having a Sirius installed in my SL with the cash. THANKS for the tip!!!