Site for 68-72 280 SEL

I am looking to buy a 68-72 280 SEL, BUT I'm finding it very difficult to get much info on these cars. Can anybody help with with either 1) some info/suggestions on this model, and 2) a site that would be devoted
to this era M-B S-class vehicle. Any other tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Go to SLmarket.com and post a message asking about web resources for your car.

Fred Emmerich

Check mbz.org Richard Sexton is a fan of these cars, as am I. My 2 cents, get the I6, not the V8. Power is OK in the I6, and fuel use is god-awful in the V8. :-)
Lee

Didn't MB use recirculating ball steering for decades until relatively recently? No wonder people who know cars are surprised to hear a MB from the 1960s had rack and pinion streering. :-)
Best regards,
Danny
E 55 AMG wrote:

Yes.
Yes.
Kind regards
Juergen 1982 W123 w/ recirculating ball steering ----------------------------------------------------

Awwwww, now you've disillusioned me. I have a clear memory of the salesman extolling the mechanical wonders of the car, including rack and pinion steering, back in July, 1968. I went around repeating all that by rote to calm my mother's friends, who couldn't understand why I didn't get a nice Cadillac like their daughters. So they aren't kidding about salesmen telling women any fool thing that sounds good, confident that we don't know the difference. ];->
M.J. in Beverly Hills (I can spot at least three Mercedes roughly the same age as mine, almost the same model, even the same color, owned by residents within a mile of my home.)
"M.J. Grove" wrote:

The salesman told a wrong thing, the car _definitely_ has recirculating ball steering (I have looked it up again just now to be 1000 per cent sure).

Maybe because the Mercedes is the better car? ;-)

I don't know what the situation once was, but also today salesmen tell wrong things, no matter if the customer is a woaman or a man - things are complicated and not all salesmen do have an expert knowledge.

Seems your neighbours have a good taste in cars!
Kind regards from Germany
Juergen

If you, M.J. are looking for more uniqueness, why not look at the Cadillac M-5 equivalent coming out this year as next year's model. Not the base model, but the souped up model, which has received excellent write ups. With the edgy new styling, it will be "new" on your block for a while. Here in Silicon Valley, every old guy drives an S Class, and every woman drives a CLK convertible, SL, or E class.
Of course, if posing isn't your thing, (and it is mine.... I'd rather be driving a Ferrari 360 Spyder or a Lamborghini Gallardo) then the Mercedes remains the best engineered ride in the world, and since you're not going to be throwing a Mercedes into a four wheel drift, and late braking the apex, you don't need rack and pinion anyway.
Larry 99 S420 (definitely doesn't need rack and pinion)