SL 107 air pump

The auto in question is a 1985 380 SL
A recent engine rattle has been isolated to the air pump. Bad clutch?
What's involved in repair, or are these swapped out? Cost?
Can this be bypassed?
My state does perform emission testing, but never look under the hood.
Thanks for the help.

the vanes inside usually break.

Swapped out, ask your local Auto parts store for cost. (call all of them, prices vary wildly)

cool by the flow of air from the pump, if you disconnect, exhaust can go backwards up the system.
Bernard
Air pump is mainly only used when engine is cold... after that, it is always idle. Old cars like ours are super loud and noisy when on... it is normal. I'd leave it alone... I know it is annoying.