SL 600 how many are out there

own a 2001 sl 600 and am interested in where to find number produced and available in US just curious

Reply to
RWL52

Mercedes dosen't have the 2001 figures posted yet for total US sales, but in

2000 there were 346 SL600's sold here, in 1999 there were 459, and in 1998 there were 682.

I suppose that a logical extrapolation of those numbers puts 2001 at around

250 or so. The reason for the sharp decline in sales probably has to do with the economy declining in those same years, as well as possible anticipation of the new SL.

?spec=1&subNav=overview&yearModelCode=00_SL600&class=00_SL&menu=6_0&rnav=012345678

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

anticipation

I wonder how the poor resale value affects sales. Not much point in losing $500 a week to drive a car that isnt as much fun as an Aston Martin or something similar.

Reply to
Miro

Really? I wasn't aware that the SL600 had a poor resale value.

The argument can always be made that the SL600 is not as 'fun' as an Aston or even a Ferrari, but I think more goes into the decision than just enjoyment; a guy who is buying an SL is probably going to drive it more frequently than the Aston or Ferrari drivers will, and the MB is certainly more practical as a daily driver.

My friend's dad bought a new Aston (in 2001) and it was nothing but trouble from day one; it had to go back to England twice for repairs. That's probably not typical, though how many times has MB shipped a car back to Germany for repairs? Probably almost never. The SL600 is a high-end car that can be driven on a daily basis, without any expectation of trouble beyond what is normal for any other MB. That has to have appeal to many buyers.

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Properly a lot more than here in Denmark. Due to special taxes we have the most expensive cars in the world.

In Denmark a car like yours costs: 470.000 US-dollars which is just a little too much for the most of us.

(Danishcar-database - 1 $ is six danish crowns) But it is a lovely car.

There is a small danish firm, that spezializes in making these fine cars even better.

Ever heard of them..?

Reply to
Jan W. Nielsen

Yeah, had the guy from Kleemann down the other day to sort out the mess they had made of lowering a CL500. IMHO some things are just best left alone......

Reply to
miknik

this is my 2nd SL first was a 95 500 drove for 4 years trade was $20.000 dollars les than purchase price not bad to drive for $5000 dollars per year. SL 600 was discounted due to anticipation of newer model which I test drove but still like this style better and $30,000 off the sticker helped me decide. Why would anyone want a car that can not be repaired quickly and locally as an aston martin can not.

just curious

Reply to
RWL52

Why would anyone want a car that can not be repaired quickly and locally as an aston martin can not. ____________________________________________ Here's a better question: Why would anyone want a car that needs frequent repair and costs two to three times what it would be to repair an SL500? The reputation of the 600 series is not good.....frequent costly repairs leading to huge depreciation. And that is why the sales figures have declined most years.

Reply to
Rockman59