SL Hardtop

I bought a SL320 used without a hardtop and have now located one from a 1994 500SL. Does anyone know if it will fit and attach correctly? My local dealer thinks so, but they said they need the VIN # from both cars to be
sure. I do not have access to the 1994's VIN #.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rob
A little more information: the SL320 is a 1996

Yes, the two chasses are the same (R129) and the hardtop will work.
Not true. The later 129 body has door windows that drop 1/2" when you open the door. The glass goes up into the hardtop seal. On the early 129's, the seal is L shaped and the glass sits against it. If you put a late top on a early body and roll the windows up.... you cannot open the doors!!

Karl is correct !!

Yes, Karl is correct and he knows tops better than any of the three dealers I talked to about this. I got a pano top for my 95 SL320 from him two years ago and am very pleased. Herb