sl transmission fluid problem Help!

I can not understand what is happening to my sl600. I detected a slight leak and in hopes it was just a pan gasket I replaced the pan gasket and the filter. While refilling it I got to the 7th quart (it holds 8.1 I heard a gurgle, like someone is using a plunger on it and it started leaking a lot. So thinking it was my handiwork I pulled the pan and looked it over and installed again. At the 7th quart of refill it gurgles and starts leaking a bunch again. Anyone have any clue what is going on here??

Reply to
SW

If all you drained was the pan amount, then you are seriously over filling it.

Drain the pan and just put 3 qts in. Start the engine and fill it to 10mm BELOW the add mark. Should be about a half quart more.

Now go drive the car 5 miles. Park on a level spot and leave it idling.

Check the fluid level. It should be just above the add mark. If not fill it to halfway between the add and full mark.

Reply to
Karl

Thanks Karl, I hope taking the pan off and letting it drip would empty all the fluid. If not I overfilled it and drove it some and it dripped so badly it smoked. I took it to a known independent. thanks for your help. I just hope I did not blow the seals.

BELOW the add mark. Should

it to halfway between the

Reply to
SW