SL600 vs. SL55AMG

Who can explain me why are there two almost identical models. They both have 368kW, same performance and same price(2000 EUR difference). Is it just company prestige of having V12 engine or what?

power curves of V8 - V12 are very different. it all depends what floats your boat, i guess.
myself, i'd go V12 every time: far more tractable if steering on the throttle is your thing.

While the raw numbers on the AMG V8 and the Twin Turbo V12 are very similar, they will feel quite different to drive. Also, keep in mind that the twin-turbo V12 is very new; up until just last year the Mercedes V12 was normally aspirated, and the performance gap between the SL600 and the SL55AMG was far more noticable.
Mercedes engineers, however, are apparantly aware of the performace similarities between the two current models, which is why they plan to introduce the new SL65 AMG next year, which will be an AMG modified twin-turbo V12. From all accounts, it will be a real monster of a car.
Thomas J. Paladino New York City 04 S500 99 SLK230 95 S320 *for sale* 89 Lotus Esprit Turbo
Hello,
Drive.com.au put forth this question to Mercedes-Benz Australia when new 2003 500bhp S55 and S600 were introduced in Australia.
S55 is more of sport saloon whilst S600 is more of refined and civilised plush-o-mobile. S55 motor is more of throaty and raunchy when launching from the standstill when S600 just takes off effortlessly.
Given choice, I'd like V12 motor over V8. Yes, it is prestige...
Oliver
Ivan Ivancic wrote:

Hi all
Don't forget the 55 is an AMG car and the 600 is just part of the standard SL range.
SL55AMG has, deep breath, AMG brakes, AMG gearbox, AMG rear axel (steel not alloy) AMG sports seats, AMG exhaust system, AMG software in the ABC system, AMG aerodynamics, etc etc.
As others have said, the AMG is a sports car, the 600 is a gentleman's cruiser.
I've driven both and the AMG suits me a lot better, I find generally that older people prefer the 600.
Graham.