SLK tail light assembly corroded

The brake lights on my '99 SLK recently failed to illuminate except for the small one at the top of the trunk, and when I took the car in for service they told me that the tail light assembly had corroded. They said that the problem is fairly common with this model.

Has anyone else with an SLK had a similar problem?

Reply to
John Cisarik

In message , John Cisarik writes

Oh yes, many of us. After several tail lights started playing up, I took the whole assemblies out this summer and sorted them out successfully.

Three small bolts allow you to remove each unit. [Be careful not to drop the spanner of the bolts or they could fall in amongst the roof hydraulic pump!!]

I cleaned each terminal with either wire wool or fine wet'n'dry paper, including the base plate and the contacts on the plastic bulbholder. Generous amounts of electrical lubricant, WD40 or similar were sprayed on before refitting. An easy job, that takes less than an hour. Deep pitting should be scraped with a blade or screwdriver to ensure a good contact. Might be a good idea to replace bulbholders where the contacts look weak or blackened, since they only cost a few pounds?

Owen, Pembrokeshire

Reply to
Owen Jones