SLK vs Chrysler Crossfire

I have been test-driving some slks and a bunch of other behicles lately. when i test-drove a chrysler crossfire and mentioned the slk he told me that both cars have almost identical parts, including the engine. I found this a
little hard to believe but apparently they are built in the same factory? Can anybody confirm/deny this?
i mention b/c i'm now looking at crossfires more closely. i found this one online and am thinking seriously about it:
www.autoextra.com/vehicledetail/adid-32248577/2005/chrysler/crossfire/chesterfield/va/do-basic?CMP=OTC-Fms&a1
Karmann Osnabrck.
http://www.karmann.com/__C1256DF700512B86.nsf/html/en_a6ae900191216561c1256dc5003287fb.html
I could not immediately see the Crossfire listed but I saw it come off the assembly line a couple of years ago and be driven round the factory.
SLK has a (steel) drop-top; Crossfire doesn't.
DAS
"Scottiemcd" <u18993@uwe> wrote in message news:5c44ff25cf67e@uwe...
>I have been test-driving some slks and a bunch of other behicles lately.

The Crossfire is based on the previous (not current) SLK platform. I've only ever read that the engine is Mercedes built, more or less the one that was in the SLK 320 (but it is reasonable to guess the rest of the drivetrain is MB-sourced); I believe the chassis is Chrysler's, patterned after the old SLK.
--/<eith

As others have pointed out, the Crossfire is based on the previous- generation SLK, but there are some important differences. Many of the Crossfire's parts are from the previous-generation SLK, but the body is all new and Crossfire-specific. The SLK had a retractable hardtop roof, while the Crossfire has either a fixed hardtop or a retractable softtop. There is no option for a retractable hardtop on the Crossfire.
According to Chrysler's own press releases when then Crossfire hit the market, the car contains about 39% Mercedes parts, including suspension pieces, engine and transmission.
The Crossfire is built by Karmann, so unless Mercedes was using Karmann to build the previous-gen SLK, that claim is flat out wrong.
--Paul ** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **