SLR finally gets some power .....

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id 040
The new Mercedes-Benz SLR "722 Edition" is powered by a supercharged 5.5-litre V8 engine, hand-built in the AMG engine shop in Affalterbach,
generating 478 kW/650 hp. The car went on sale on July 11th.
The SLR 722 will cost an additional 20,000 EURO above the standard car
.
So that's paltry increase from 612 to 650? That's about 526, per horsepower. I understand that AMG's own 6,2-litre V8 motor will be fitted with twin turbochargers for 700hp output. So, I'll wait for the E63 Biturbo AMG estate and leave SLR in the dust even with all of room for my frightened passengers and cargo...
I think the SLR isn't worth the money when you can get the SL65 AMG or even CL65 AMG for more than half of SLR. If SLR has a 700hp (or even 800hp) V12 motor, that might have change my perspective a bit.
I saw a few of them in San Francisco and Los Angeles. They don't have that 'emotion factor' as Ferrari and Lamborghini have. Yawn...
greek_philosophizer wrote:

I agree with that, as outstanding a piece of engineering it is, it lacks soul that the Italians manage to capture.
I saw one in London, it looked a little strange and ungainly lumbering down New Bond Street, then again, the only McLaren F1 I've ever seen was on Jersey, an 11 mile wide island that has a maximum speed limit of 40mph.
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers