Sluggish C220 W203

Hi, I have just bought an October 2002 C220 CDi Classic Automatic. I have a problem that it feels sluggish and kickdown is not working. I forced the gears to downshift using the gearshift lever but it does not
help as I cant get the engine to run above 3000 revs. Any advice would be appreciated before I take it back to the dealer on Monday. Thanks Peter

Hello,
if the engine only revs up to 3000 rpm, and the overall power is not enough, this is an indication, that the engine is in the "emergency program" (I try to translate from German, so please excuse).
Any fault in the engine managment will lead to this, i.e. HFM ( HotFilmMass Sensor?) that measures the mass of the air that the engine takes in or oxygen sensor (although that would also lead to the engine control lamp on in your display).
Best check with anyone who can read out the engine managment fault memory.
Martin