Smart car in USA?

I was whatching legally blonde 2 at the cinema (I had to do it for the other half), and at the end they drove off in a smart cabriolet.
Now I know American films are full of product placement, and plenty of shots
of the Audi TT.
But I am confused about the inclusion of the Smart, clearly driving in Washington. Is this to get Americans ready for the day when Smart does hit the streets of the USA? Was it to judge reaction?
A friend of mine supposedly saw a Smart going down the 91 Freeway in Riverside... he supposedly has digital video of it that he shot while following it for a short period of time, though I have yet to see that. Maybe the smart is coming... maybe it's already here?
Mike

Newsbeitrag

Yes, it is. Go to Naples, FL, I saw at least 12 Smarts when I was there in February. I assume a whole bunch of German people who own a house in sunny Florida brought a Smart to drive around with it whiel not playing Golf.... Some of the cars still have the German car plate at the front and the U.S. one at the back.
Chris
Hello,
A yellow Smart was sold in the ebay a month ago for over $18.000, That one was common sight in Denver (Colorado) area for about a year or so. The owner declined to respond to my query how he managed to obtain the DOT and EPA compliance for his Smart.
If you have better luck, try his email address: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Oliver
PS I have pictures of that Smart car in front of McMurray Mercedes-Benz sales and service centre.
Oliver Keating wrote:

Ennui Society wrote:

A few Smarts in New Zealand, spunky little toys.
Apparently the Smart is going to be sold by MB-Canada next year. That would be the first North American distribution through MB.

Interesting, I saw a Mercedes Benz North America Vice President at my local dealer here in Pennsylvania. He was driving a smart from dealer to dealer trying to gauge reaction. He also declined to answer my question about meeting DOT standards. (It was dealer registered for PA though).
-H
Howard wrote:

If it would have DOT approval he WOULD have told you so!
Juergen
There is a thread on the Chrysler site about this issue -- Smart testing in the USA in particular and the comparability of crash tests internationally in general.
DAS --