Smart loss is several billion?

Page 2 of 3
British road deaths are under 4000 per annum (close to 3000?) and falling (nothing to do with speed limits). In fact, IIRC, there have never been more
than 4000 deaths from car accidents in the UK from the inception of the car.
This means that safety has been rising dramatically all the time, given the huge increase in cars, miles travelled etc.
Same thing may be true for USA but, to get back exactly on-topic for this part of the thread, we need to see stats normalised for miles driven and info about the smaller American cars.
DAS
. People from

Having been to USSA, I don't think many of them would be slim enough to fit in a Smart.

fit
What can I say. Americans may not be fit but probably are clever. They sold a nosediving Chrysler Corp. for rising Euros. You miight want to accumulate some extra body fat for warmth in the coming long European economic winter.
Cheers Howard
Americans aren't fit? Hmmm, seems like Lance Armstrong is fairly well conditioned!

sold
accumulate
winter.
If the Chrysler folks were so clever, then what about ol Jerkin Shrimp's lie's & deceptions? He initially called it a "merger of equals", then admitted later it was a takeover all along, he just called it a "merger" to get Chrysler to agree. Chrysler was profitable for years before being swallowed whole by McBrue's buddy, 'ol Jerkin Shrimp, but he fixed that in a hurry.
So, clever Europeans, who's the joke on NOW?? HAH, HAH!!!

sold
accumulate
winter.
dies gedichtet:

Well, currently _no_ american car manufacturer really is pofitable. AFAIK GM is the only car builder which produces positive revenue, but only due to their financial services.
If I were DaimlerChrysler, I had to decide between two choices: 1. Shut down chrysler, throw away my investment and lay off ten thousands of american workers. 2. work hard and wait for better times.
I think it is not a bad idea to have a multi brand strategy. The potential market share of Mercedes cars in the US is limited. If you want to sell more cars, you have to offer different cars. In Germany Mercedes had to learn that it is quite hard to sell a subcompact Mercedes successfully. I doubt that a smart would work with a Mercedes star on the bonnet.
Frank

I wonder. Isn't it usually better to stick to your knitting?
I wonder when VW management will have to undergo treatment for schizophrenia... :-)
DAS --
LOL!
As a former VW manager here in the States, with many friends still working for them, every time I mention the Phaeton I get red faced stares! VW needs to deal with their quality problems and soon, sales are slipping and it reminds me of the same head-in-the-sand mentality that nearly killed them back in the 80's.

Compare the sales figure of the Audi A8 to those of the VW Phaeton, and you know what I am talking about.
Frank

Not sure what you mean by that.
And what about Bentley? Isn't that in Phaeton's price class?
As as has been said before, how many people will spend that much on a VW badge when they can have a Bentley badge or an M or a Three-Pointed Star and change etc...?
DAS --

A Phaeton starts at 68.100 Euro, that is the 3,2 litre V6 engine with front wheel drive and 6 speed manual gearbox, no additional options. The big W12 engine with AWD and auto gearbox starts at 102.000 Euro. A Bentley Continental GT starts at 160.000 Euro, a Bentley Arnage, which is a 4 door sedan and size-wise comparable with a Phaeton, is at least twice as expensive as the Volkswagen Limo.
What I wanted to say: VW Phaeton and Audi A8 have a lot of similarities: Size, price, technological standard. Nevertheless the Audi A8 sells a lot better than the Volkswagen, which leads me to the conclusion, that it is almost impossible to sell a car in this price range under the label of Volkswagen (which means People's Car, by the way). VW would have done a lot better if they reanimated one old brand like Horch for the Phaeton.
Frank

Frank Kemper wrote:

The _Horch_ name rights are owned by VW.
Juergen

Yes, I know that. But VW would have to do a lot of propaganda to make "Horch" sound desireable in the present world. It is about the same work, which was done when Mercedes reanimated Maybach and Toyota invented Lexus.
Frank

And Horch in English? And will wags write Hooch instead...?....
After all, USA and UK are Merc's most important sales territories outside Germany.
DAS --
Frank has a good point, although VW is a well respected brand worldwide, they are perceived as the manufacturer of "economy" cars, not luxury vehicles. It can be done, but I've always scratched my head trying to figure out what they are trying to do with this car. If they want to penetrate the luxury segment, what is Audi all about? VW is a former employer of mine whom I hold in high regard, it's troubling to me to see all this effort come to naught, because it will certainly take away from efforts in the mainstream segments. Even the Touareg is a better logical fit with the brand.
dies gedichtet:

work,
Lexus.
My point exactly!
For EUR 68 K I can buy a pretty decent Merc/BMW/Audi (and even Jag...) For that money I care about the badge.
For double that I am already in that rarified atmosphere of top cars.
DAS --
All goofing aside, the purchase of Chrysler was a bold move by Daimler Benz and had the potential of allowing them to enter markets and product segments, particularly trucks, that would have been virtually impossible to do with the MB brand.
Daimler has some serious product issues on both the MB and Chrysler sides of the house. Years of cost and content cutting have resulted in poor quality and customer satisfaction ratings for Mercedes Benz in North America. This has tarnished the image of the brand tremendously. While Chrysler has traditionally been a quality bottom feeder their scores have steadily risen in recent years. However, even before the merger they scooped the domestic industry many times by not only being very profitable, but by offering innovative, exciting products Ford & GM couldn't match. Further, they proved they could fast-track products to market. The Neon, the mini van line, the Jeeps, Viper, Prowler, PT Cruiser, the Dodge trucks, etc. are all very distinctive, exciting products that have sold well. Thus, comparing Daimler Benz's decision on Chrysler to BMW's with Rover is silly, the latter was an antiquated disaster, propped up by the British Govt. for decades with massive, wasted cash flows. And while the US Govt. loaned Lee Iacocca's Chrysler money in the late '70's, they quickly paid it back and developed a momentum that made it one of the success stories of all time. Not that there wasn't a bit of "smoke & mirrors" to the whole thing.
The hope would be that Daimler will do more than just slash costs looking for short-term profits. They have a very serious problem with MB long term if quality doesn't turn around. My dealer and other sources are concerned about the leadership of MB here in the States, claiming anyone who had tenure was either fired or early-retired, only to be replaced by inexperienced, career-centric MBAs who have no clue and don't care.
On the other side, their approaches to the Chrysler issue look rather enlightened. Time will tell.
dies gedichtet:

there
Just a minor quibble:
Actually, the government didn't loan any money to Chrysler. Instead, it guaranteed $1.5 billion in loans to Chrysler, which made it possible for Chrysler to get the loans it needed through normal market sources. Chrysler ultimately borrowed about $1.2 billion against these guarantees.
The government assumed the risk of Chrysler defaulting on these loans, but as you note, this was not a problem--the loans were in fact repaid early. And, as part of the deal, the government received Chrysler stock warrants that produced a big profit when the company recovered.
What about all that money Deiss & Associates loaned Chrysler, didn't they get chizzeled out of that? ;-)

developed
Chrysler

No, but they definitely ran past their 30 days net for a while. :-)