Smart Roadster, Crossblade

Passed a Smart dealer today (in Chiswick, West London) and popped in to see the Smart Roadster. Looks interesting but for about fifteen thousand quid
you can get a Mazda MX-5 (Miata). Is it worth it? Discuss.
There was a nice beach buggy on show as well, the Crossblade. No side panels, just a bar to stop you falling out. Lack of proper windscreen limits the speed somewhat. Unsurprisingly most sales are exports to warmer regions such as the south of France. The show model had LHD. It's on the official Smart UK website:
http://www.thesmart.co.uk/index.asp?mainFrame=/smart_range/cars/roadster/ind ex.asp
DAS --
✖
dies gedichtet:

From what I have read the smart roadster is a nice pure little driving machine, which at least in Germany is a little bit cheaper than a MX5. Besides this the MX5 is quite outdated and not very fashionable anymore. I think this is very important for certain buyers.

AFAIK the smart crossblade is limited to 25.000 units. They decided to make the car, because prospective buyers showed a lot of interest for a prototype displayed at a motor show. The crossblade is roughly twice as expensive as an ordinary smart city coupé. This price seems reasonable, as the crossblades are mainly handmade by german coachbuilder Binz. The original idea of smart inventor Nicolas Hayek was to make the smart a collectible car, which people would treat like a fashion item. I think this plan failed: Even the crossblade is not regarded as a collectible item (maybe 25.000 cars are too much to make it rare).
I am sure that you can buy a crossblade, if you want one.
Frank

✖
Frank Kemper wrote:

In Germany the Smart Roadster begins roughly at 15.000 incl. VAT and the MX at roughly 20.000 incl. VAT at 16 per cent.

Fashion is the only reason for people buy these cars.

Aren`t that 2000 cars only? http://www.3sat.de/3sat.php?http://www.3sat.de/tips/mobil/31178 /
Juergen driving the most-built MB model ever (W123 240D sedan = 454.780 cars)
Add pictures here
✖
link don't work

see
warmer
http://www.thesmart.co.uk/index.asp?mainFrame=/smart_range/cars/roadster/ind
Add pictures here
✖
Did you include the wrapped bit of the URL in the address field?
DAS --
✖

see
warmer