smartcarclubs.com - the Smart Car Community

Page 1 of 3
smartcarclubs.com is an online community of Mercedes Smart Car owners and enthusiasts launched in June, 2005. Smarties of the world unite!
Visit http://www.smartcarclubs.com

As much as I looooove Smarts (there's relatively quite a bit of them here in Vancouver and I've tried them in Germany) how can it possibly make any sense financially to buy one? You could get 1.5 very well outfitted and normal cars such as an Echo or Corolla for the price. Or do people buy them just for what they are? :-)
cp
Yes, and they're short.
Can fit under your arm.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:t6Qse.66911$on1.16204@clgrps13...
[...]
Or do people buy them just for what they are? :-)

Emm, excuse me for my not well English, I'm Italian and post from Italy. I've got a Mercedes C200 (1994) and I've bought a Smart in 2002 for a lot reason. I don't know American road (I suppose big and large) but here in Italy the road of city are small e there is a lot of traffic and few less parking for car. With a smart I can parking everywere! :-) Olso the gasoline in Italy isn't cheap and with Smart I can do 21 Kilometer-liter and over at 80km/h! Then Smart is more tecnology car with a small Mercedes Engine (599 CC), 3 cylinder, a gear box automatic-sequenziale with 6 speed, an incredible solid cell named "Tridion" for passenger secure. Then smart is for me a funny car with rear traction and a beautiful design.
Ehi, I've got a website for Smart: www.smartdriver.it The site is recent and for the moment is only wrote in Italian but if you want you can see gatherings of Smart in Europe. In Italy Smart are much popular (for me is the machine that has replaced Fiat 500) and Italian love this car! :-)

Bye, Matteo
That is exactly the point. Apparently it sells really well in Rome and Paris (but not enough to make a profit). There are also quite a few in London.
(But give me an Alfa Romeo 147 any day -- even with inferior reliability -- a real bello automobile. http://www.alfaromeo.com/cgi-bin/pbrand.dll/ALFAROMEO_COM/models/models.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1984199601.1119129564@@@@&BV_EngineID cdaddeljeeggkcefecejgdfiidgnf.0&categoryOID=-1073784434)
In which city do you live?
DAS
"Fabio G." <fabio_ snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@powernews.inwind.it...
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:20:06 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Yes, I think that Smart is a car for Europe city because American road doesn't need this car.

Near Bologna.

Bye, Matteo
I expect to be passing nearby next month: holiday in Limone di Garda and then Florence. I am going to try to rent an Alfa again, like last year.
:-) DAS
"Fabio G." <fabio_ snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@powernews.inwind.it...
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:07:20 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Great! :-) If you can you make a short visit Bologna is one beautiful city. It is not famous as Florence but it deserves a visit. :-)
For Alfa, you can to try to rent Alfa GT, great coup, much better than 147! :-)

Bye, Matteo.
I agree (about Bologna). I have actually briefly visited the city and I might make another pit stop if my family accept it.
However, I was thinking of going to Modena instead and maybe passing a well-known red-sports-car factory... I need to get the address off the website (when I get the time).
I am not sure Avis have GTs. The first difficulty is to persuade the car-hire company to reserve a specific model. Last year I asked for the Alfa 147 and they actually kept it for me, amazingly.
DAS
"Fabio G." <fabio_ snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@powernews.inwind.it...
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:34:29 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Well, you will have noticed that Bologna is famous in Italy for the towers (There are many scattered for the city) and is the city where is eaten very well why it is in the specific culture of this region of Italy! :-)

Modena is a beautiful city, center of the Maserati but if you want to see "the red ones" you must go to Maranello! : -)

I have watched on the Avis website but they do not say nothing of Alfa GT. But sure they will have Alfa 147 restyiling, similar to that one that you have tried but improved also in the aesthetic one.

Bye, Matteo
That's true. My mistake, which I would have discovered when searching for the address...
Ciao, as they say DAS
"Fabio G." <fabio_ snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@powernews.inwind.it...
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:53:45 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Excuse me, but I don't succeed to understand, which address you refer?

If you want I speak you in Italian...:-)
Bye, Matteo
Address of the manufacturer of famous red cars, as mentioned before.
Unfortunately my Italian is almost zero.
DAS
"Fabio G." <fabio_ snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@powernews.inwind.it...
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:57:47 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Here the addresses:
Ferrari Factory:
41053 MARANELLO (mo) - VIA ABETONE INFERIORE 4 tel: 0536 934511, 0536 949111
Ferrari gallery:
Via Dino Ferrari 43 - 41053 Maranello (MO) Tel. 0536 943204 - Fax 0536 949714 snipped-for-privacy@ferrari.it www.galleria.ferrari.com

Not to proccupare to you, I was joking! :-)

Bye, Matteo
Thanks for the info!
(Late reply as I was abroad 22 - 30 Jun. Hired a Chevrolet Aveo -- a Daewoo in fact -- must rank among the most boring-looking cars I have ever hired.)
DAS
"Fabio G." <fabio_ snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@powernews.inwind.it...
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:40:16 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

It's a pleausure , watches if the address of the Ferrari you don't ask it to an Italian to who you want to ask it? : -)

There are car that give emotions to guide them and others that only serve in order to go from a point to the other.

Bye, Matteo
I should have qualified that with what sense does it make to buy them here in North America. Or are they only allowed in Canada?
cp

Also in North America there are ABSURDLY LARGE SUVs that will decimate a 'SMART' upon impact! I even feel small in comparison in my W116 next to some of these.Can't even describe what a GEO Metro looks like after a collision,heck can't even tell it was a GEO Metro half the time!

I know in America there are a lot of SUV. is not good for Smart becouse the weight and the mass of the Smart are too much inferior to those of a SUV. on Internet you can see some crash test of the Smart against the S class and will see that the Smart of is not exited badly, the energy that must dissipate the Smart in the impact too much is elevated. We figure ourselves against a SUV. Task that the Smart is an car for the European market and not for the habits of guide of the Americans. I do not understand why loved a lot the SUV. In Europe and especially in Italy we prefer the pleasure of the guide. Task that with a SUV, is constructed cannot compete with one low and wide car.
Bye, Matteo.

Stupidity. That only applies to the people driving gas guzzler SUVs that are choking our air. Though they're nowhere near as bad as American vans and SUVs of 10-20 years ago which would take 25l-30l/100km. Couldn't care how much it costs the driver but they're burning up a non-renewable resource and choking the world. Of course, I have nothing against fuel efficient SUVs, known as off-road vehicles in the days when people where not afraid to drive over a puddle.
cp