smartcarclubs.com - the Smart Car Community

Page 2 of 3
It tickles me when I see short owners struggle getting in and out of their SUVs and checking their fluid levels!

SUV ladders, next big thing!!
Cr@p, I'm 6'3 and I'd get lost in a SUV engine bay!
cp
another problem is that these short people (a 5'2" 50'ish lady in my case) have no clue how to drive these big SUV/VAN/TRUCK's. She was out in the intersection to make a left turn - the light changed to red and she thought better of it and started backing up into .... me. I'm on my horn full tilt for the full time she was backing up slowly.... crunched my whole front end. She had no clue .... didn't see me, didn't hear me ... nothing ... totally oblivious to the outside world.
guenter

Unfortunately, also in Italy the fashion is bursting here of the SUV, but the roads of our cities they are not adapted for this type of car, therefore like the parkings. I do not love these cars and of it I discuss their street behavior. Sure high and tyre with high shoulder they do not influence positively on the guide. Moreover the consumptions are too much elevate. Moreover in crash tests the crash between car turns out dangerous and suv, it plays all on the mass and dimensions.

Bye, Matteo

DO NOT let SUVs into your country!!! Perhaps the Smart sized SUV, and the G-Wagens...
Matteo, on the Italian autostradas, is there a speed limit? I understand the autostradas are private..
cp
See below.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:qtjte.50964$wr.30246@clgrps12...

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:20:14 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Yes, in Italy everything is cares...

Bye, Matteo
See below.
DAS
"Fabio G." <fabio_ snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@powernews.inwind.it...
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:37:01 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

I had not understood well but now that you explained I must say that you have reason! :-)
Bye, Matteo
hmmmm, will have to schedule a stop in Italy soon :)

You'll be tailgated by so many Fiats, Alfas and the like that you won't get a chance to stop...
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message news:aHtte.66772$HI.12159@edtnps84...

> hmmmm, will have to schedule a stop in Italy soon :)

THAT's the way to drive! Here in Vancouver, with all the oblivious minions driving V6 and V8 automatics; the light turns red by the time I can get moving 10 cars back when the light turns green. 190km/h bumper-bumper I don't mind. At least in Europe they know how to use their power.
cp

I guess you have not learned your lesson and are due for another accident...
Marty

Accident? I had bald tires and slipped on gravel on a corner and took out a little sign. Parts and labour for the audi was 636CAD
Anyways, 190 in bumper to bumper traffic that in Europe, not in vancouver, I get scared driving here, with all the off-the-boat asians here who buy their licences.
cp

Probably I'm a little part inasmuch as I'm Italian, but Italy is a beutiful country to visit :-)
Bye, Matteo

What can I do?..., the SUV in Italy is becoming a fashion here and Italian we follow the mode, even if this would be better not to follow it...

Yes, exact the freeways are private. There are various societies but the more important is "Autostrade S.P.A.". The maximum limit of speed is 130 Km/h

Bye, Matteo

Decimate a Smart...heck I seen one of them new Dodge next to an older Ford F150, the Dodge would decimate the F150!
cp

I do not know the retail prices for smart cars in Canada, but in Germany the suggested retail price including VAT starts at 9.100 Euro, which is approx. 10.900 USD. For that money you get a car with semi-automatic gearbox, power windows, power locks, ASB, ESP, dual airbags, Euro 4 emission standards and very low operating cost. A 3 door Toyota Corolla starts at 14.550 Euro, which is some 50% more than what you have to pay for a smart. If you look at the supermicro cars you can buy for a starting price of less than 10.000 Euros, most of them are strange korean tin cans or rather old and unsafe cars like the Ford Ka or the Fiat Seicento. One can very well discuss the question wether a basic smart is a good car - but it is amongst the cheapest ways to get yourself moved in a new vehicle. If you want to spend subdtantially less money, you have to buy either an used car or a new motorscooter;-)
Besides that there are many (not many enough) people, who love the smart. It is extremely short and handy (important for crowded european streets). I live in Munich and I know many people who spend 20-30 minutes per day to find a parking gap for their car. A car 5 feet shorter than usual can drastically reduce this time.
Smart's problem is quickly told. Their infrastructure starts earning money when they sell more than 200.000 units per year. Up to now they have only succeded in selling 80.000 per year. In my eyes the additional smart types roadster and forfour are not revolutionary enough, and the classical smart failed to incorporate such innovations as electric or hybrid drive, fuel cell and such.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

For Euro earnings that's a good price but in Canada after all is said and done the smart comes to around 16.000USD. Some people have paid almost 20K USD but then they went overboard on everything.

yep.
I remember trying to park a smart in Hamburg and when I stopped panic struck when I thought what if I screw the parralel park in a smart? :-) My friend said "what parallel park, just park it!", yeh, just park it, no problem :)

Maybe they shouldn't bother with all the other models, it's a simple car, why dillute it with all the various models? forfour? Might as well just get a regular small car. They should just stick to the basic concept and get it right. Isn't it too early for fuel cells? As for hybrid drive, what benefits would that bring? It's a tiny car, it'd just complicate it more.
cp
cp wrote:

Surprisingly enough it's 9000 EURO's in Holland as well. That's after our 50% car tax + 19% VAT.
Normally even European cars are cheaper in the US than in Holland AFAIK.
Point is, net prices of new cars vary a lot in Europe too.
I've heard many stories of the Smart engines having big problems with oil consumption. Apparently bad enough to need replacement engines after a relatively short while.
Ximinez