smartcarclubs.com - the Smart Car Community

smartcarclubs.com is an online community of Mercedes Smart Car owners and enthusiasts launched in June, 2005. Smarties of the world unite!

Visit

jeffbirmingham

As much as I looooove Smarts (there's relatively quite a bit of them here in Vancouver and I've tried them in Germany) how can it possibly make any sense financially to buy one? You could get 1.5 very well outfitted and normal cars such as an Echo or Corolla for the price. Or do people buy them just for what they are? :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

Yes, and they're short.

Can fit under your arm.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Vancouver and I've tried them in Germany) how can it

outfitted and normal cars such as an Echo or Corolla for

Emm, excuse me for my not well English, I'm Italian and post from Italy. I've got a Mercedes C200 (1994) and I've bought a Smart in 2002 for a lot reason. I don't know American road (I suppose big and large) but here in Italy the road of city are small e there is a lot of traffic and few less parking for car. With a smart I can parking everywere! :-) Olso the gasoline in Italy isn't cheap and with Smart I can do 21 Kilometer-liter and over at 80km/h! Then Smart is more tecnology car with a small Mercedes Engine (599 CC), 3 cylinder, a gear box automatic-sequenziale with 6 speed, an incredible solid cell named "Tridion" for passenger secure. Then smart is for me a funny car with rear traction and a beautiful design.

Ehi, I've got a website for Smart:

The site is recent and for the moment is only wrote in Italian but if you want you can see gatherings of Smart in Europe. In Italy Smart are much popular (for me is the machine that has replaced Fiat 500) and Italian love this car! :-)

Bye, Matteo

Reply to
Fabio G.

That is exactly the point. Apparently it sells really well in Rome and Paris (but not enough to make a profit). There are also quite a few in London.

(But give me an Alfa Romeo 147 any day -- even with inferior reliability -- a real bello automobile.

In which city do you live?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I should have qualified that with what sense does it make to buy them here in North America. Or are they only allowed in Canada?

cp

Vancouver and I've tried them in Germany) how can it

outfitted and normal cars such as an Echo or Corolla

Reply to
cp

Also in North America there are ABSURDLY LARGE SUVs that will decimate a 'SMART' upon impact! I even feel small in comparison in my W116 next to some of these.Can't even describe what a GEO Metro looks like after a collision,heck can't even tell it was a GEO Metro half the time!

Reply to
CaptainW116

Yes, I think that Smart is a car for Europe city because American road doesn't need this car.

Alfa Romeo is a very Italian car! :-) A great car! :-)

Near Bologna.

Bye, Matteo

Reply to
Fabio G.

I know in America there are a lot of SUV. is not good for Smart becouse the weight and the mass of the Smart are too much inferior to those of a SUV. on Internet you can see some crash test of the Smart against the S class and will see that the Smart of is not exited badly, the energy that must dissipate the Smart in the impact too much is elevated. We figure ourselves against a SUV. Task that the Smart is an car for the European market and not for the habits of guide of the Americans. I do not understand why loved a lot the SUV. In Europe and especially in Italy we prefer the pleasure of the guide. Task that with a SUV, is constructed cannot compete with one low and wide car.

Bye, Matteo.

Reply to
Fabio G.

Decimate a Smart...heck I seen one of them new Dodge next to an older Ford F150, the Dodge would decimate the F150!

cp

Reply to
cp

Stupidity. That only applies to the people driving gas guzzler SUVs that are choking our air. Though they're nowhere near as bad as American vans and SUVs of 10-20 years ago which would take 25l-30l/100km. Couldn't care how much it costs the driver but they're burning up a non-renewable resource and choking the world. Of course, I have nothing against fuel efficient SUVs, known as off-road vehicles in the days when people where not afraid to drive over a puddle.

cp

Reply to
cp

It tickles me when I see short owners struggle getting in and out of their SUVs and checking their fluid levels!

Reply to
CaptainW116

choking our air. Though they're nowhere near as bad as

Couldn't care how much it costs the driver but they're

nothing against fuel efficient SUVs, known as off-road

Unfortunately, also in Italy the fashion is bursting here of the SUV, but the roads of our cities they are not adapted for this type of car, therefore like the parkings. I do not love these cars and of it I discuss their street behavior. Sure high and tyre with high shoulder they do not influence positively on the guide. Moreover the consumptions are too much elevate. Moreover in crash tests the crash between car turns out dangerous and suv, it plays all on the mass and dimensions.

Bye, Matteo

Reply to
Fabio G.

I expect to be passing nearby next month: holiday in Limone di Garda and then Florence. I am going to try to rent an Alfa again, like last year.

:-) DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

SUV ladders, next big thing!!

Cr@p, I'm 6'3 and I'd get lost in a SUV engine bay!

cp

Reply to
cp

DO NOT let SUVs into your country!!! Perhaps the Smart sized SUV, and the G-Wagens...

Matteo, on the Italian autostradas, is there a speed limit? I understand the autostradas are private..

cp

Reply to
cp

Great! :-) If you can you make a short visit Bologna is one beautiful city. It is not famous as Florence but it deserves a visit. :-)

For Alfa, you can to try to rent Alfa GT, great coupè, much better than 147! :-)

Bye, Matteo.

Reply to
Fabio G.

See below.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

What can I do?..., the SUV in Italy is becoming a fashion here and Italian we follow the mode, even if this would be better not to follow it...

autostradas are private..

Yes, exact the freeways are private. There are various societies but the more important is "Autostrade S.P.A.". The maximum limit of speed is 130 Km/h

Bye, Matteo

Reply to
Fabio G.

Yes, in Italy everything is cares...