Smoke

1984 500SEL. After driving on the freeway for a while, smoke started to enter the cabin and from the car, where the trans is. It smelled like transmission fluid. I got off the freeway, and noticed no diffrence in the way the car drove, drives just fine, and it did when it was smoking. I dont drive it on the freeway much because of the bad tires, and that was the longest I have ever driven it on the freeway, could it just be because it hadnt been used in a while? I checked the fluid, and it was pink and didnt look burned
Reply to
Rick

Oil leak on to the exhaust. When it's cool crawl under and look for stains on the exhaust, that's the smoke source.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

I'd suggest you wash your engine first... You probably have some oil leak from valve cover gasket.

The reason you smell those thing is because the seals... two of them actually... on both firewall by the windshield are bad... so you are smelling whatever it is in the engine compartment. It is a common problem with older MB so change those seals and you will be alright.

Reply to
Tiger

I would also sugest that you do a thorough degreasing around the transmission and underside of the vehicle if there is any oil/grease/dirt buildup. One of my previous cars (92 Corvette) had a trans fluid leak at the speed sensor dripping fluid on the exhaust pipe. Fortunately I was doing some tuning when the fluid and the accumulated crud cought fire and I was able to put it out right away resulting only in damage to a wire harness and connectors.. Ever since that episode I have been paranoid about oil leaks and potential fire hazards. Peter

Reply to
Peter W. Peternouschek