Sourcing Engine for 1973 Mercedes 220

Hello Everyone,
This is my first posting to the group, so apologies that it comes with a request for help :-)
The engine of my Merc recently blew up and - as far as I can tell at this
stage - will need replacing.
I spoke to the people at the local Mercedes garage and they could provide and fit a new engine, but it was going to set me back 3000+. Clearly not feasible for a car that only cost me 1000.
Therefore I would be grateful for any pointers in sourcing a second hand engine and some cheaper labour. I'm based in South East England.
Thanks in advance for any advice...
Richard.

I'll sell you a used engine for 100