Spark Plug Wire Removal

I have an '89 190E 2.6. I tried removing the spark plug wires by hand and they were stuck tight. I could rotate them but not pull them off. I got a spark plug removal tool from AutoZone and still could not pull them off.
Just destroyed one of the spark plug wires. Is there a secret to getting the wires off? I'm afraid of breaking a spark plug if I continue to pull harder.
Thanks, Jim in Houston
There sure is! in your tool kit there should be a pair of pliers, yes?, if no, buy a cheap pair of needle nose. what you want is a good flat grip. Look at the plug wire. Note the metal cylinder surrounding the tip, and rubber boot that goes over the spark plug. Like a metal tube cut in half lengthwise, Note also the raised metal flange that runs the length of the metal cylinder. This metal flange is where you grip the plug wire....pull straight back... POP... its off to replace, grip same area , fit over plug and push firmly...POP its on!