Speedometer on 380 SL

I have a 84 380SL and the odometer quit working. I know I have to remove the whole assembly and send it off to a repair shop, but my question is how do I
lower the steering wheel without setting off the air bag?
You DON'T lower the steering column. You remove the air bag. You remove the steering wheel. You remove the black plastic plate held on with 3 tiny screws. Then you pull the cluster out.