Speedometer wobble

I've noticed that the speedometer on my '95 E320 has become erratic - sometimes wobbling a lot (esp. at low speed), sometimes not even engaging until around 30mph. Is this simply due to a lack of graphite in the cable,
and if so how hard is it to re-lube these?
Josh

It's pretty much a crap-shoot whether or not re-lubing a cable will get rid of the "shakes", and the amount of disassembly that you have to do to re-lube the cable is almost the same as you would have to do to replace it outright.
Also, I'm discouraged by the fact that the speedometer sometimes fails to register *at all* until you get up to 30 MPH. That's more indicative of a speedometer cable or gear that's worn out, rather than just sticky.
--
Scott Gardner

"I was an hour late to work today, but I'll leave an hour early to make up for
Are you referring to the driven gear that turns the cable? If so, I believe that one some cars the driven gear can be replaced without lowering the transmission. Is this the case with an E320?
Josh

Has the dash been pulled apart?
Check the routing of the cable and make sure it isn't in any more of a bend or stress position then absolutely necessary...
Not for about four years, and while there's always been a minor wobble at low speeds this is the first time it has increased and not engaged.

Since my 87 300SDL already uses electrical pulse to count speed, I seriously doubt a 95 E320 will go back to use a cable-driven speedo.
Josh wrote:

Interesting. On thebenzbin there is a speedometer cable for a '95 E320. But there is none listed for an '87 300SDL.

Really? That's interesting. Why would MB choose design themselves retired long ago? I know early W201 (specifically 84 190D) used cable. I thought later W201 changed to electrical pulse too. Maybe not? And since W124 shares many designs with W201 so that cable continues?
If part does exist, then the problem is either the cable or the gear. You need to pop out the cluster either way.