SRS light

Mercedes 300E 1996. I had to re synchronise my alarm system via the key fob and interior rear mirror receiver. Everything is fine except that the SRS light stays on all the time whilst the engine is running. I understand that the SRS light is the airbag warning light and if faulty, could be due to the seatbelt connection, that's about all I know. Is this a major problem and can I get it fixed?

Charlie Brown

Reply to
Charlie Brown

It has the potential to be a major problem, yes.

Being that I know very little about how the airbag system works, and I have no desire to set off explosives anywhere near my face, I suggest that you take the vehicle into a reputable service center and have professionals examine the airbag system. It may be something very minor, it may be something major...and in general, only a technician with proper tools would be able to diagnose it.

Messing around with your airbag system is potentially very dangerous.

Reply to
Pete Stephenson

Light on = NO air bag deployment in an accident.

You need to have the fault code read. Could be the slip ring or the left or right buckle or the light or the crash sensor has triggered 1st threshold. All but the triggering 1st threshold is fixable. 1st threshold means you need a crash sensor.

Reply to
Karl

This is a clear answer and I fully understand the consequences. I will get it checked out at a mercedes dealership. Thanks for your help.

Charlie Brown

Reply to
Charlie Brown

Yes, it is serious. No, you probably can't get anyone on the face of the earth to fix it. But just toddle on down to the stealership and let them fix a few parts in it for you. Maybe new airbags, then new sensors, then new engine, then a new tranny. Or maybe you will wise up and sell it before all that goes in.

mcbrue encouragingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue