Ssangyong

Why Ssangyong car does not enter the North American market? I saw a website in New Zealand and it has nice looking cars (Chairman sedan, Rexton SUV, Musso Sport pickup truck and Korando Jeep) on sale there. Is Ssanyong marketing their cars in Europe, Middle East, and Africa? I notice that all their cars are using Mercedes benz engine. Is Ssangyong part of the Daimler Chrysler group?

Reply to
aniram

Bbeacuse Nnorth Aamericans wwouldn't bbe aable tto ppronounce iit.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

It's a Korean car. It's a little lost in translation. But s is different then ss translated from Korean. (I speak Korean) Yes, they use MB engines in some of them. They even have their Rhino on the front, along with the MB emblem, it's kinda cool.

Reply to
Frank Burns

That didn't stop Hyundai, kia, Honda, All north-Americans mis-pronounce those...

Reply to
Frank Burns

Soem info about the SsangYong Chairman 600 can be found on my site at

The Chairman must not be sold in the EU - but e.g. was sold in Poland (and a friend once caught me a Chairman brochure in Polish). Other models like the Rexton were also sold in the EU.

Once MB had a small stake in Ssangyong (5 per cent?) that`s why they gave the license for the old inline-6

320 engine plus the W124 E-class chassis.

Juergen MBSPY webmaster

aniram wrote:

Reply to
Juergen .

Frank Burns top-posts:

[ I joked that Americans wouldn't be able to pronounce Ssanyong ]

That's certainly news to me. If Americans mispronounce those names, it's the fault of whoever transliterated them into English. What's the point of transliteration unless it accurately communicates the way words are supposed to be spoken?

(Americans mispronounce "Honda?")

I remember reading somewhere, I think in _AutoWeek_ when Hyundai first hit the U.S. market back in '87, that the name wasn't actually pronounced with a silent "y" as Americans are accustomed to saying it. But the company was promoting this polite fiction because it felt "HUN- day" would be less alien-sounding and easier on the American tongue than "HYOON-die."

Geoff

Reply to
Ralph Baksheesh

Long "O" is correct, or something like it.

HYOON-dee, as I recall. And the guy who told me was named Jong Kyang, so I believe it.

Reply to
Stephen H. Westin