Star Vandalism

Aaaargh!... some low life mother-one-word tried to tear of the rear star of my 1998 E320 this week - for the second time! Broke it, of course, but still damaged my paint.
Words fail me!
This time I will not replace it. I'll get the paint fixed and leave it blank.
So far, I've not lost the front star but I think I'll remove it anyway (I lost two on my last MB.) It's not obvious to me how to get it off (spring loaded, etc.) Could someone kindly advise me? I have a better than the average home tool kit.
Still steaming!
Roger
--
Roger Jones, P.Eng.
Thornhill, Ontario,

Not sure if it's the same as my '97 E320- if so, you'll need to open the trunk and pop all the plastic rivets... Once in there, you'll see how easy it is to remove...
I bought a replacement for mine from Rusty Cullens... snipped-for-privacy@mbz.org.. - it was less expensive than the dealer....

To remove the hood star, open the hood and find the base of the star. You can see it is spring loaded. Grasp the bottom of the shaft with pliers and pull down and rotate the shaft. You will be able to see where the slots align to unlock it. When you have it lined up with the slots it should release and you can take the star out. You can get a replacement star, same as factory unit, at www.performanceproducts.com I think they are around $20. Or you can get the instantly removable type that you can take with you when you leave the car. Don't know the price on these.
Rockman59 wrote:

This is a bit tricky. Its easier to remove the little pin holding the spring at the bottom with pliers. Its just a seconds move. The complete base disassembles itself.
Roland Franzius
You will be able to see where the slots

Its easier to remove the little pin holding the spring at the bottom with pliers __________________________________________ Whatever works.......!