Starter Motor

well, starters can be pesky .... as Lisa recently found. I'm also having difficulty with mine now. Replaced my solenoid (was not working) bench tested the starter and works great! .... Installed it in car and again experience that it won't turn over every time... once in 3 or 4 instead. Removed starter again, bench tested... works well. Reinstalled starter and same problem... the pinion gear wont engage every time... I know now that the bendix does work though.... anyone have any ideas??? Quite frustrated here

- cheers, guenter

ps flwheel and pinion gears look fine... no obvious wear marks, no iron shavings etc...

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Sounds like you need to change the starter with a new or rebuilt one.

That's wierd... never experienced that symptoms. Unless it is the ignition switch... Oh wait a minute! Neutral Safety Switch... this is also another possibility.

Try starting in Neutral before you touch that safety switch. Maybe you need new tranny linkage bushings.

Reply to
Tiger

Check to make sure you have a good connection (+&-). Is the + heating up when it fails? I forgot a washer and did not get a tight connection when I changed my diesel solenoid and it behaved like I had a low battery.

Reply to
me