Starter Motor Problems

Hi All,
Some of you may remember that my starter began to operate intermittently. I checked it 'repeatedly' myself, took it repeated to a Car part place where
they tested it on a maching (presumably measuring the current draw) the starter worked flawless.... I took it apart to make sure the Bendix was good etc reasembled and tested it again.... worked great on the bench. Put it into the car and it would fail 9 times out of 10, that is the motor would sping (solenoid OK) but would simply not engage the flywheel.... Roland suggested that the solenoid may not have enough 'punch' based on that I thought I'll buy a new starter and try it... sure enough, the new starter works flawlessly, ie it engages the flywheel every time.... so what the heck is going on? My guess is that Roland was probably on to something and the missing 'punch' was probably a worn 'fork' that pushes out the Bendix. The fork is plastic and pivots on little 'studs' on either side of housing...
I guess the old adage is correct... if there is a problem with the starter simply replace it... not worth fiddling with it for hours.
cheers, guenter
Hours? Seems like days of fiddling to me on your quest.

is going on??? Inquiring minds would like to find out. That's why I spend the time in the first place.... saving a bit of money doesn't hurt either :-)
- cheers, guenter
LOL... ya I know what you means... If it is broken, how much worse can you do? It is still broken... or it is alive!
Hi Guenter
OT and, so to speak, irrelevant.. :-)
Was fairly suddenly called to Toronto about 9 days ago but had no time to look anyone up. Was there two nights only.
:-( DAS
"Guenter Scholz" < snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:f61otk$g3o$ snipped-for-privacy@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...

OT ?? re visit, hoping it might happen some day....
cheers

Didn't even tell old friends in Mississauga... And it was the first trip in relative ages. :-(
news:f66uv5$7on$ snipped-for-privacy@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...